• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

only one radio required?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our MEL specifically states '1' required for dispatch, but the remarks section makes it a bit more restrictive. From the remarks section of our MEL, 23 - 1 "Communications Systems - VHF and UHF":
Any in excess of those required by FAR may be inoperative provided Systems (VHF and UHF) and is not powered by the Emergency AC Bus, Emergency DC Bus, Battery Bus, Battery Direct Bus, or the DC Transfer Bus and not required for emergency procedures.​
So in this aircraft, if you have an inoperative VHF comm you want to make sure it it NOT in the #1 position (EMER BUS) and that the FAR's you are about to operate under do not require 2 for dispatch.

I can think of only one or two vary unique instances where I MIGHT operate with only 1 operative comm. A short VFR repostion to effect repairs, maybe. Otherwise, send maintenance to me.

Pro, I must say, I completely agree with you on this!

First a caveat, I haven't worked this issue for a couple of years and someone may have snuck in a change that I'm not aware of.

Every Master MEL has the term "As required by the FARs" in the equipment installed and in the "number required" columns. This is necessary because the FAA Headquarters and Aircraft Evaluation Group staff who develop Master MELs have no way of knowing the configuration of an individual aircraft nor the regulation it will be operated under. When an operator develops its MEL in accordance with the Master MEL, it's supposed to list every piece of equipment installed and the conditions wherein installed equipment may be inoperative. Any reference to "as required by the FARs" should have been deleted and the actual FAR requirement inserted in its place. Also, the MEL must contain a time limit for repair as well as any maintenance or operational procedure/limitation associated with the deferred repair. If an operator has a blanket statement like "more than required by the FARs may be inop", this should have not been approved. The company MEL is submitted to the assigned FAA POI/PMI/PAI and reviewed to be in compliance with the known configuration of the operator's fleet as well as the regulatory and FAA Handbook requirements. In a non-standard fleet each individual aircraft must be addressed in either a separate MEL or in exceptions noted on the standard company MEL. If a company MEL is less restrictive than the FARs, or doesn't list each piece of installed equipment, several people screwed up and the MEL isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back