• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Online WX brief, who do you use?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Duats (the system) -- with the color prog charts, etc. The whole computer setup. I was told by my manager it was @ $1200 a year to use it. I thought it was called duats, the same as the old DOS format looking one. Whatever, you get the point.

I think you're getting DUATS confused with DTN

DUATS (Direct User Access Terminal Service) is a free service provided to anyone who has a valid pilot's certificate. Available at www.duats.com or www.duat.com

DTN (Data Transmission Network) and services like it is the system you see in all the FBOs around the country. That's the big expensive subscription service.

DUATS is completely free and completely legal, as long as you have a valid pilot's license.

Go to www.duats.com (for CSC duats) or www.duat.com (for DTS duats). All you need to register is a pilot's certificate number and your last name.

Relieved

wow, I'm glad I finally reached a post that let labbats know that DUATS doesn't cost 1200 bucks to use. It's FREE and user friendly.

DUATS on the Web provides immediate on-line access to U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approved information including:

Current, continuously updated weather information
Easy-to-understand plain language weather
Flight plan filing and closing
Automated flight planning

This should get you started:
http://www.duats.com/duats.cgi

Sadly, I meant DTN. I posses the unique skill of saying one thing and thinking another on certain words when I'm tired. In fact, some of my poor students get told to perform short field landings when I mean soft field, and vice versa. It's gotten to be a bit of a running joke with my regulars, they'll ask again if I really mean SHORT or SOFT. Gah.

But in summation, all the posts have been a tremendous help, and I've picked up quite a few good new sites out of it.

Lab

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back