Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

I have a small problem...

I am starting to think of letters of recommendation and I don't know anyone very well who is an officer. I'm dead serious, I have a good friend who was enlisted in the Army, other than that I just don't know anybody. I want someone who could attest that I will make a good officer, and I assume the most credible person would be an officer. Any suggestions?

Go with what you got

You're probably right that a glowing LOR from an officer would carry more weight on average. The other things it would have are the magic words that selection boards would know have certain meanings, like outstanding is better than excellent is better than commendable etc. But if you don't know an officer, which I would guess most people don't since the draft ended, then find someone who can attest to the qualities we expect of military officers. These might include clergy (honest, upstanding, moral), coaches (hard working, assertive, disciplined) teachers or profs (intelligent, diligent, respected), you get the idea. It also helps if you write what you want them to say for them, or at least outline it, and they just personalize it a little.

Then, if you trust your officer recruiter, run the letters by him or her to ensure there's nothing that might raise a red flag. Not likely, but like any profession the military has an internal language where sometimes words take on meanings that you won't find in Webster's.

Good luck and don't be shy about asking people for help.

Last edited:
I had one letter only for my board, and it was from my CFI. That may not cut it in an active duty board, but it worked for a reserve slot.

I'm shooting for Reserves or ANG. By the way, the officer recruiter for the AD said he only accepted a minimum of 5 letters, he would pick the best 5 and send them to the board.

Chaw, NOT a problem if going reserve...

chawbein said:

I am starting to think of letters of recommendation and I don't know anyone very well who is an officer.

If you are SPONSORED by a Reserve unit you are limited to two (2) recomendation letters. Why? Because unit sponsorship includes recommendations from your Squadron Commander (LtCol or Col) and your Wing Commander (Col or Gen). These come in the form of statements on some of your paperwork and as formal Recommendation Letters.

Don't stress about it now...worry about your upcoming AFOQT. :)

Speaking of rec letters and the AFOQT...
The only score higher than my Pilot score was the Verbal score. This turned out to be a double edged sword. My sponsor's CO called me up when he was getting my package finished. Citing my high verbal score, he asked ME to write my rec letter from the Wing King! My response: YES SIR!
(good practice for OPRs too!)

hehe that's too funny, I ended up writing my own ones as well. They sent me a letter about some guy from the last board and told me to make it about myself.

P.S. What are you using a recruiter for? Until you're sponsored and doing your paperwork they are useless...

Vandal, I think he was talking about an AD rec. he spoke to.

Wow Chaw, those are Great scores! See my PM.

Last edited:
chawbein said:

I am starting to think of letters of recommendation and I don't know anyone very well who is an officer. I'm dead serious, I have a good friend who was enlisted in the Army, other than that I just don't know anybody. I want someone who could attest that I will make a good officer, and I assume the most credible person would be an officer. Any suggestions?

Don't even think of using a letter of recommendation from an enlisted person. This would be viewed much the same as a prospective prison guard presenting a letter of recommendation from a prisioner. In the military culture, the enlisted folks are viewed by most officers as something a little less than human, while the officer class looks upon themselves as royalty. I've been on both sides of the equation and found that ex-enlisted will always bear the stigma of being something akin to an ex-con.

To quote an official source:

"...enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide 1874

tdvalve:

Too many people read this board to let your last bit of bull***t pass. If you were treated as less than human as an enlisted then maybe you should look in the mirror instead of the the wardroom for the reason. If you treated enlisted as less than human as an officer then you are beneath contempt and, hopefully, out of the officer corps and inflicting your attitude on someone who isn't forced to work with or for you.

Based on your hours I'm assuming you were in the military about the time that 1874 quote was written. Times have changed. The military is about getting and retaining quality people - enlisted and officer - and unless you have some current data points that add to the discussion you might do better display your ignorance in a less informed (and influential) forum.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back