Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bssthound

Enormous Member
Having read and contributed to the thread about the problems with the higher ups in the AF I'd like to mention a truly squared away group.

A few months ago I was in the base gym with my two heaviest kettlebells, which look like a cannonball with a handle. A guy approached me, stating that he's a combat control instructor and they use those extensively. After talking a few minutes we got back to our workouts. He invited me to the CCT gym, which is cypher locked, to work out with the trainees.

I showed up at 0600 a couple weeks later and hit it with 'em. After an hour I was sweating like a Shiite in a pigpen and panting like a dog. I showed them a few different lifts while they stood, barely breathing, attentively listening to every detail.

Since that time I've had some more interaction with the CCT guys. Their military bearing is impeccable and they project the most professional of images. It's a great feeling to be around such a fine group.

Every service has its elite troops; there's no doubt most of you can point to a similar group in your respective service that has impressed you. I'm certainly not trying to start a "these guys are tougher than those guys" pi$$in' contest. I just wanted to point out a group of young E-5s and 6s who have done a lot more to instill pride in my uniform than every power point briefing and meticuously groomed general officer I've ever come across.

I don't want to dispute your claim, I want to second it. I lived next to Hurlburt for 7 years, did my daily workouts there, and was able to interact with the CCT dudes on a regular basis. That is where I initially became embarassed by the rest of the USAF (well, there and at SOS when I saw the rest of the USAF). Those dudes quietly do their thing and go to war while the rest of the USAF fights over the minutia (sp?).

Everyone has a job to do, and without everyone doing their job we would not be as effective. But, everytime a MPF, Med, etc. officer or NCO is trying to explain why they have to close at 1530 (and not even answer the phone when they are still at the desk) or shut-down the 2nd Tuesday for training - I wish that they were to imagine that they were explaining it to one of those dudes who just got back from Afghan. or is getting ready to go and is just trying to get his crap done. And those are the dudes senior leaders need to think of by saing "how will this decision help those dudes win the fight and come home alive?"

P.S. - when I was in AMC I always wanted some kind of shadow program so all of our players could see just who we were supporting and what they were doing on a daily basis. There were a lot of times when I had to explain to a crew member that is we didn't get that gas to the AC-130, then the dudes on the ground would be exposed without CAS - and maybe we should try to work a little harder to fix that boom issue, etc. vs. just going back to the hotel.

I like the tone of this thread…pilots recognizing that the world doesn’t evolve around us!!! I’ve said it before and here it comes again…the “purest” of the profession of arms are the boys on the ground…and our STS bubbas rank right up there at the top!

Hurlburt lost a fine warrior on 19 Aug…just a reminder of the sacrifices being made daily—and most impressive, these are willing sacrifices!!! What I’d do to turn in my wings and serve beside these heroes!

Here Here

My props as well.

I've worked with these Airman as well and they're tops!

Latest resources

Back