Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Photoflight

AIR rAMBO
Just wondering how some of you guys deal with being on call.

Does your company give you any hard days off or do you get a release time during the day after which your free to go/do whatever.

I'm kinda worried about accepting a job that forces me to be within an hour or so of the airport all the time and well........not be able to go have beer.

Being on call is not that big of a deal.

With time, you'll begin to figure out when you'll be called and when you won't.

For example, I know that if I don't get a call by 3 pm, I'm good for the night. Worse case scenario for me will be a 6 a.m. show (but not likely).

Usually you'll know a few days in advance when you'll be flying. Charter isn't all last-minute callouts like some would have you believe.

I live 1 hour and 30 minutes from my airport (on average). When I leave the area I take a uniform with me, just in case. I've never had to use it.

I'm doin contract right now and have a suitcase in the back of the jeep just in case. I figured with time you would begin to learn the "schedule" so to speak but wasn't sure.

It depends on the company.

At my (soon to be former, I hope) company, it's on call 24 hrs. a day, 6 days a week (sometimes 7). Extremely rare to know about a trip more than an hour in advance, normally 45 min. Must live within 20 min. of the airport, to be wheels off within 45 min. of the page and never a clue as to how long you'll be gone. Many times it's over 14 hours, sometimes even 18 or more. There is no such thing as "a life." They'll switch you back and forth between day trips and all-nighters multiple times in a week.

It is a positively miserable existance. I wouldn't trade the experience gained through this job for anything, but I am looking forward to turning in that wretched pager as soon as humanly possible and finding some sort of scheduled flying.

Not trying to be negative, but "on call" to some companies means you are nothing above a slave. Be careful.

English said:

For example, I know that if I don't get a call by 3 pm, I'm good for the night. Worse case scenario for me will be a 6 a.m. show (but not likely).

This seems to be our routine - if I haven't been called by late afternoon, I'm usually good (with the occasional evening call to brief me on an early show). We are expected to be at the airport within one hour of the call, but short-notice calls aren't the norm although they do happen at times. We get hard days off with no call, of course. My friends who fly at similar 135 pax operations seem to have the same general routine.

When I flew ad-hoc FREIGHT it was a different story; short-notice callouts at all hours (mostly evening/night, although anything was possible) with a much more unpredictable and turbulent lifestyle then what I'm doing now.

Like Eatsleepfly said, it depends on the company and the type of operation.

On Call - it's all about your attitude towards it. Imagine yourself in the position of being called: perhaps during a BBQ, movie, or something else. How does it feel? If you don't mind it - go for it. If that feeling twists your somach, don't take the gig. Just ask yourself what's important to you and the rest will be easy.

I've joined the "on call" ranks after a consistent schedule for 5 years. Sure I get the occasional last minute pop-up. Big Deal. Typically I'm able to do anything I want just by keeping the schedulers informed. If I'm hitting the golf course, I just give them a call to see what's up. In the past 5 months I can think of 1 time I was thankful I had the suitcase packed. I keep the attitude that I may be called - I've accepted that. So - it's no big deal to me. Hope that helps...

AZT

English said:
Being on call is not that big of a deal.

Usually you'll know a few days in advance when you'll be flying. Charter isn't all last-minute callouts like some would have you believe.

I live 1 hour and 30 minutes from my airport (on average). When I leave the area I take a uniform with me, just in case. I've never had to use it.

What she said. I've been at my job since Jan, and I've had either 6 or 7 "get here ASAP" calls. I get scheduled days off, so that's when I go out of town or whatever. I could care less about being on call. If I'm at the store, or on the golf course, then I'll get there when I get there. It was understood when I took the job that I was going to be living about 45 minutes away, they were OK with it. I can't sit by the phone all day, 24/7, and they know this. They just say 'get here as soon as you can.' Like I said earlier though, it doesn't happen much. Most of the time I get called the day before and told about a trip the next day. Like everyone says, it just depends on the company. Just be sure you know what you're getting into.

The being on call part isn't what bothers me its just the fact that I may or may not ever be able to go out. I don't mind having the cell phone with me and having a suitcase/uniform ready to go. I guess I'll find out at the end of this week when I go talk to 'em. Hopefully there'll be some hard days off.

Hardays off?... that's a joke!! The majority of my hard days off are "after the fact" as in, "hey, you know those four days you didn't fly last week? Those were you hard offs."

Also, be aware that when dispatch releases you to the hotel, it doesn't mean that you can run off and have brewskis. If you just had about 5 hours of duty time and 2.4 hours flight time, you can still get called back out and come in under the 10/14 rule. I have seen pilots get called to the carpet on this one.

The most important thing to do is keep track of your time; stand your ground and don't let the guy flying the desk get you behind the power required curve. Give them an inch and they'll take a yard every time!! If they call me while I am sleeping off my rest period, I start the clock again when I answer the phone... and they know it. Even had them try to send me out for a piss test during my rest period; called me while I was asleep. Tick Toc

Question, if on call 24/7, when you are called to fly, when was your rest period? How are 135 companies addressing this?

Latest resources

Back