• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Older/exotic aircraft flying in/for the military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup, Collings has the F-4 still, shelled a motor 2 years ago just after takeoff with a rider, the rider still had the ride of his life with one motor running and thought nothing of it, also thought it was pretty cool. Still waiting to get the replacement motor running right. They also have a flying TA-4J and T-33 along with a UH-1E. Still a couple of MIG-21's flying outa EFD too. Here in Russia I get the pleasure to ride on the TU-154 and TU-134a's (has navigator glass nose) on aeroflot, now that is an experience. Better to have a russian pilot fly a russian plane because they sure as hell can't fly boeings. The Russian have no concept of a 2 man cockpit, still have to have Pilot, co-piot, navigator and engineer on the B-737 and the navigator is the only one with a clue.........

Navy (Reserve I think) F-5's flying out of Key West.

Had a FO who's reserve job was to fly them as aggressors.

A few weeks ago at the Dolphins/Raiders game, two did a low level flyby with precison following the National Anthem, sun-worn paint and grease stains included :beer:
Beautiful for our kids first NFL game. It was a little better than game a few years ago when the announcer proudly announced the impending flyover of a few USAF T-38's, and saw nothing but one looking lost miles north of the stadium ;)

There are two pilot training classes at Sheppard flying the T-37. When they are done, that's it for T-37 flying in the USAF. Should be around March 2009, I'm guessing.

Last I heard (a few weeks ago), the tweet may be staying for a little longer! That plane just won't give up. It sure was a blast to fly.

Someone in North Texas flies a pair of Alpha Jets. They used to land at SPS all the time. I believe they worked with the Army guys up at Ft. Sill doing CAS. That wouldn't be a bad retirement gig.

Someone needs to tell the folks at DM to quit taking Tweets....there are more of them now than cactus and rocks.

I did see what I assume was a private Tweet at Marana just NW of Tucson.

Someone needs to tell the folks at DM to quit taking Tweets....there are more of them now than cactus and rocks.

I did see what I assume was a private Tweet at Marana just NW of Tucson.

Are you referring to that direlict A-37 Dragonfly that hasn't moved in years sitting next to the Fouga at Avra Valley (I refuse to call it Marana NW Regional........)

:confused:

Any DC-3s being flown by the military anymore?

Dunno about the mil but the federal government still does I believe. I saw one that looked like a turbine conversion in KBOI a year ago or so.
Still see OV10's over the house regularly, spotting for air tankers. I was told that the Army or the Air Force flies DHC-7 and DHC-8's covered with tons of antennaes.

Are you referring to that direlict A-37 Dragonfly that hasn't moved in years sitting next to the Fouga at Avra Valley (I refuse to call it Marana NW Regional........)

:confused:

No...it was sitting out in front of someones hangar and was the traditional blue and white of AETC. Maybe it was on a XC and needed a place to stay for the night. There was one there!

y.

Someone in North Texas flies a pair of Alpha Jets. They used to land at SPS all the time. I believe they worked with the Army guys up at Ft. Sill doing CAS. That wouldn't be a bad retirement gig.

Saw a couple of those in Burlington, VT a couple of years ago, green paint, do not recall any other markings.

Speaking of Alpha's, cute little video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm0-NSLFKsY

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back