• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OLD TWA Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
anything by Gann,Morgan,or St.Ex, is pure gold,Dick Bach's early stuff,Biplane,Stranger to the Ground ,and Nothing by Chance are outstanding too.

not to mention "Moondog Academy of the Air", by Cruz, story of on-demand at YIP. Plus a new one haven't got it yet, "Haulin Checks"

"Moondog's Academy of the Air" should be required reading (especially for new CFI's):D.

After reading Buck, Morgan, and Gann, you realize how the more things change, the more they stay the same. The equipment may become more computerized, but the personalities and habits tend to be timeless.

Captain Lodi Speaking is an excellent book about the Clipper days at Pan Am. Not much doubt you were a complete aviator after going through that process.
Dean Smith is another must read author, in my opinion, for the true aficianado; his airmail and post airmail adventures are riveting.
Captain Buck's book "Weather Flying" is another book well worth reading.
Rick Drury is someone who definitely should keep writing. Hopefully he's working on another book.

I am surprised at all the endorsements for North Star by Buck. I thought it was weak and seeing a guy in his 80's still wearing his airline uniform and calling himself "Captain" was just sad.

Fate is the Hunter by Gann. I can't think of a finer aviation book...

Plus a new one haven't got it yet, "Haulin Checks"

Save your money Pilotyip. I read it and it was not good.

Fate is the Hunter is by far the greatest aviation book ever written IMO. Other good ones not yet mentionhed:

Air Vagabonds- A. Vallone about ferry pilots during the GA boom
Yeager- Enough Said
The Spirit of St. Louis- Lindbergh
Night Flight- Saint X
Forever Flying- the Bob Hoover story
Stuka Pilot- Hans Ulrich Rudel

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back