Old employer spreading untruths

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another Resource

There is another resource out there called Veriworks. Apparently they do a whole background search. Their website is www.veriworks.com I am not sure if they do what you are looking for though. I think they just verify credentials.

Legally, potential employers are only supposed to be able to ask three to four questions. This includes your position, length of employment, your salary history (if you choose to let them divulge this) and whether you would be available for rehire. Some potential employers will try to push the issue and ask other questions and see if an answer will be provided.

There are two exceptions to this. If you have been discharged because you committed a crime at the company or if you are using an employment search firm.

The company must divulge whether you are a risk for a potential employer or they can be sued. The employment search firm can ask all the questions they want, as they are not the employer.

If you have an HR department at your company, I would suggest putting their number down, as most HR people will not give out any info besides the basics.

Hope this helps clarify any questions. I would suggest what Bobby said in having a friend do it for you, but make sure they follow the guidelines above and then try to get additional info.

Good luck!
Kathy

Last edited:
A friend of mine was afraid of an ex-employer so he spoke with a labor lawyer and he had his paralegal act as a secretary calling to do background info for a ficticious corporate jet job. As expected the ex-boss had a runny mouth. He sued with this lawyer representing him and settled and is now flying at American. Ironically, that CP lost his job for what he did as well.

I don't think it was much but he said the sting of first year pay was eliminated. So I would bet 30-50,000.00 dollars.

I would suggest that because obviously the lawyer knows what can or cannot be done to set this up so that it will stand up in court.

Abe Froman said:
A previous employer, I think, is going to submarine me during the background check. Is there anyway to find this out before hand and can they legally do this.
Abe

If you have proof. Sue him. By law they can only verify that you worked for them and for how long. If he's talking smack about you, you should have a case.

And another suggestion . . . .

Try to get a positive letter(s) of reference before leaving any job, even if you're canned. At least a letter stating that you resigned and you would be recommended for any job for which you are qualified. Having it in writing should be proof positive why you left the job and minimize any badmouthing.

Believe it or not, you still have leverage, even if you're being terminated. I did that at my very last aviation job. I was offered the choice of being terminated outright for cause or resigning. Employers think that if you resign they don't have to pay you unemployment benefits, which you absolutely must protect. But being asked to resign is tantamount to involuntary termination, for which you can collect unemployment, and I knew that. So, I gave them a two-sentence resignation letter, stating that I was resigning and that I understood they would provide a letter of reference. They did. And, eventually, I received my unemployment benefits.

Believe me, it pays to know your rights as an employee. I strongly recommend this book, Every Employee's Guide to the Law by Lewin G. Joel, III, available at amazon.com and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Great Resources Bobby

Thanks for posting that book Bobby. I have many clients who ask questions about potential illegal termination, and that will be a good resource.

Kathy

i recently got a new job working line at a local FBO. I asked my old manager if i could list her as one of my references or if she could give a recomendation for me over the phone when the new employer called to check my back ground...she explained to me that by law the only questions she was allowed to answer to the potential employer was "Yes, Jake worked here durring the dates that you have said..." she told me she was not allowed to offer any words of praise or negetive criticsm for my former position...this was my situation, i bet your is a whole lot different but i just wanted to share what i know...

I would never resort to violence in attempts to correct a former employer. I am shocked and ashamed that anyone on this site would lower to that standard. Its dumb thing to do you could find yourself behind bars. I am not impressed. You need revenge. This is what you need to do, and this will depend on the level at which you were/are being slandered.

1. Buy a 6 pack of beer. Drink 3 of the 6 cans pour the rest in back seat of the car and throw the empty cans under the seat. Call the police and report a drunk driver.
Time in jail 24 hrs min, 2 yrs probation, possible lost job, and no new job for several years.

2. Buy a dime bag of pot from your local drug dealer or loser high school friend. Your friend will be easy to find he still lives with his Mom. Role half the bag into joints and throw some money into the bag. Place the bag under the seat of his car. Call the police and report drug activity from this person. Time spent in jail 1week to 2 years, 2-4 years probation, and lost job.

3. Buy 3 cases of vix rub (that crap your Mom put on your chest as a kid when you had a cold) Get buddies old beer steel. Place into former bosses garage. Call the police report a meth lab. Time spent in jail, who knows and lost job.

Your former employer will find it hard to slander you from behind bars. It’s really hard to return phone calls while he is busy having prison sex and taking care of his legal issues. If he is able to call his credibly will be in jeopardy and if there is any issue give the new employer his number in the slammer. Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back