• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

oil in a c-182?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Continental O-470 -- min: 9, max: 13, fill to 12 for extended flight.
Lycoming O-540 -- min: 5, max: 9, fill to 8 for extended flight.

That number came straight out of a '79 TR182 information manual. (The numbers for the Continental came out of an '86 182R manual) Whether being the turbocharged version makes a difference, I don't know.

VFR on Top said:
Continental O-470 -- min: 9, max: 13, fill to 12 for extended flight.
Lycoming O-540 -- min: 5, max: 9, fill to 8 for extended flight.

These are approximately the right numbers (don't have a book in front of me but I know they're about right)

for the pre-1990 models, straight leg normally aspirated 182's use continental O-470 engines.

182RG's, Turbo 182RG's and pre 1990 Turbo 182 (straight leg) all use variants of the Lycoming O-540.

Post 1990 182's (normally aspirated and turbo) use some type of lycoming IO-540. There are no post-1990 182RG's

The reason the continental engine holds more oil than the lycoming is that the oil sump is larger, to accommodate the cam shaft which is underneath the crank shaft. Lycoming engines have the cam shaft above the crank shaft, so the oil sump is smaller hence a smaller oil capcacity

182RG's had to have the Lycoming becasue the larger oil sump of the continental wouldn't accommodate the retracted nose wheel.

If you put more than 10 qts in a 182, that amount will be on the belly in the first 45 minutes. That is true with any big bore Continental.

Also on a 182, some oil dipsticks are graduated in such a manner that the nose strut inflation level will show it two qts off.

Lycomings like to run about one qt low, as a general rule. I had an Aerostar (601P) once that would push out everything over 9 qts. May have been the position of the crankcase breather pipe to the cowl opening, but it wasn't worth experimenting with. The engines liked nine, and didn't use but a qt or so between changes.

If the 540 in a 182RG holds less than 12 qts it's an anomoly for that AC because every 540 I've dealt with has held 12.

icefr8dawg said:
If the 540 in a 182RG holds less than 12 qts it's an anomoly for that AC because every 540 I've dealt with has held 12.

The R182 (182RG) has a Lycoming O-540J3C5D engine. The turbo R182 (turbo 182RG) has a Lycoming O-540L3C5D engine. The oil capacity for each engine is 9 quarts.

here is the link to the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet for the Cessna 182 series: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/c6b724ae8f033bad86256ecb00553120/$FILE/ATTMU61Z/3a13.pdf

The R182 oil capacity data is on page 16

The oil capacity for other models (and a bunch of other detailed, neat stuff) is throughout the document.

It wouldn't surprise me if the R182 O-540's had a lower oil capacity than other O-540's. In the R182, the engine was derated to 235 HP, and the oil sump pan had to be small enough to accommodate the retractible nose gear.

Thanks all,another question...

I cannot remember the markings on the dipstick-would it be with -minimum or a number for the min.?

desert pilot said:
I cannot remember the markings on the dipstick-would it be with -minimum or a number for the min.?

Dipstick will be marked in quarts.

capacity, i believe, is on the cap of the dipstick - this is a required placard and is also on the TCDS

minimum oil for takeoff is on the pre-flight cecklist

Latest resources

Back