Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VW Pilot

MMM...PIGEON CASSEROLE
I passed my check ride....I'm officialy a Licensed Pilot. Man I feel great. This is a large accomplishment for me. Here is how it went....

Showed up at the airport, had all the documents laid out for the DE to examine to make sure I was legal, and the airplane was legal. everything checked out. then we went into the oral which was about 20 questions....mainly he had a concern for Airspace and weather minimums, equipment needed for different airspaces and SVFR....what is it and when can you get it, what is required and all that. Did 2 weight and balance problems, figured a problem for take-off data on a hot day, and planned a cross country and he examed it....everything was ok....He was satisfied. So he says well I can tell you have been studying...you breezed through that...So gather your things and go pre-flight the airplane and I'll meet you out by the plane to watch you pre-flight. So I did the pre-flight with the checklists and
everything was fine. Got in the plane and I discused
seatbelt procedures but before that discused that IF the situation arrises....well you know. He acknowledged. During the flight we were headed to the first check point with VORs set and all frequencies...he said well you're doing well on that and said well now i think we got some bad weather up ahead...reroute...so he gave me a location and wanted me to give him the distance and time and how much fuel it would take to get there....So while flying i trimmed the plane to level flight, pulled my E-6B out and plotter and did some quick calculations while still monitoring the airspace and plane...(I did this in under 1 minute) and gave him the answers....he was pleased. His words were...I like your accuracy and the time it took you to do that.

Next he said OK I have the airplane. Put on your foggles and put your head down....time for unusual attitudes and recovery....So we did 2 of those and i passed then I performed 3 stalls.....yes 3. The first one I screwed up but he said ok lets try that again. When stalled the first time, I let the plane bank a little and used a small amount of aileron...I knew I had failed....I started swearing to myself... he said it's ok...we have some wind up here so I won't count that against you so don't get angry and don't worry just try again...So I tried again and did better...he was satisfied. after that he had me do circles around a point and an emergency procedure....so he says ok you are within standards so take us back to the airport.......He tried to dis-orient me...But I used VOR ad found my way back to the airport. Once we arrived, he said ok, now lets do a Soft field landing...did horrible on that...so he said try again...did perfect second go. then we did Short field T/O landings did ok on those, and finaly and soft field T/O. Did fine on those. So he says OK that concludes your checkride, take us to the ramp.

Parked and secured the plane, got the hobbs and tach, shut off everything and went inside. He said well overall I'm pleased how you handlethe airplane..Just practice the stalls and keep positive rudder control. Then he said I forgot to ask you one question...he said this is a Government trick one...I got nervous...He said look at this document, review the information and verify. Then he said can you sign this document? I said yes you can...then he said well if you can find the signature, your're squared....Man I looked all over the document for about 30 minutes...no lie..he had gone out to his car to get his case because someone behind me was due for a check ride as well...When he came back in he said did you find it? I said no. He simply turned the paper sideways and said there you go.......sign here.....everyone was just looking at me. I felt so stupid...then he said don't worry....the Feds get 7 out of ten people that way...works everytime....So all the Pilots standing around me were laughing at me. But i got lots of Congrats from those guys....SO.
Now it's on to my Instrument....Man I feel great.

Good job!

Have a beer on me :beer: then get started on that instrument rating.

Thanks....Yeah I'll have two beers....I got a free meal from Olive Garden from my brother...It would be fair to pay for the beer, mine and his.......

Last edited:
Congrats!! Welcome to the premier group of "dysfunctionals", I agree with the above posters reply!!!:laugh:

Also some news- Im offficially UNEMPLOYED, yet again!:bawling:

Don't worry, you'll get used to the dysfunctional feeling.

Congratulations, we told you one mistake wouldn't result in failure. :beer:

Latest resources

Back