Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotguy5

Hello,
I noticed the FAA has started accepting applications from the public. I'm just curious how this process works? How many do they typically invite to take the test?
Also what is the test like, is there a study guide to prepare?

Thanks,
Ken

I'm sorry for being clueless on this, but if the ATC doesn't usually take applications off the street, where do they usually get their new talent? Sorry, no help to your original question, but I admittedly know almost NOTHING about the ATC system besides the normal daily interaction.

In the past they only offered the test to applicants going to a CTI school in the ATC program i.e Beaver, ERAU.
Now anyone can apply via FAA.gov and get a chance to take the test. Not everyone will get a chance to test but it opens up more options to everyone.

Ken

Here are the answers to the two questions:
1) B/c this is a government job, everyone who qualifies, based upon the requirement of 3 years work experience or 4 years of college (or a combination of both), and who meet all the rest of the requirements in the public annoucement should get an invite to test. (side note: if you do the online application incorrectly they will not consider you). After you test, interviews are offered based upon the score you make (highest scores first obviously). This is NOT a fast process. The last time they offered the public annoucement (which if I recall correctly was in January) the test dates offered began in mid-February. I know at least three people who tested in Feb, scored in the 90s, and who have not yet been offered an interview. Again, I say this is not a fast process.
2) Prior to these public announcemts, the FAA was hiring exclusively from the ranks of military controllers, people who already held a CTO (Control Tower Opertor Certificate), and CTI (college training initiative program students).

The link to the new public offering bid is:
http://jobs.faa.gov/asap_detail.asp?vac_id=104253

Best wishes to all who apply!

Hello,
On doing the online application correctly, are there any common areas that are done incorrectly? It seemed pretty straight forward.
Also, on the part where you get to choose your place to work. Do you have to put something for all 10 of those?

Thanks,
Ken

What does the FAA pay controllers? I know that it has to do with where you control which usually has to do with seniority/ability/desire to move up. Just wondering how much the voice on the other end is usually making.

Don't know specifics on what parts of the online app are being done incorrectly. What I should have said was be sure to follow the directions exactly and fill it out as completly as possible, so that there won't be any opportunity for them to kick it out.

As for the second question about pay. My understanding is that new hires at the academy are getting a nominal salary (someone at work said $8.50 per hour, that may be rumor, but I do know its not a lot....but you're also only talking about 10 weeks or so). However, you also get a tax-free per diem that will cover your living expenses out in OKC. There are several apartements (Walnut Gardens is one...and they have a web site - google it) that cater to the FAA only, and have fully-furnished/outfitted units, so all you will do is bring your clothes, computer, etc. They know the rate the FAA pays you and I can guarantee that the rent will be exactly what your given in per diem. But its still the best deal going out there. No lease, no ties, just pay while you stay.

Then as for pay...once you're at your first facility.....go look at the thread entitled ATC Benefits under the Air Traffic Header. The pay scales are posted (or link to the scales are), and an explanation on how to work them, within another post I made (if you have a speciofic question about a specific area or facility PM me and I will try to help). That thread also talks abouit some of the other benefits that come with the job.

As for location, on the app....I am told that the more locations you put down the better your chances are at getting an opportunity to interview, simply b/c more areas/hubs will have your name and test score on their rooster. So, if you're flexible about where you land, fill in all 10 (or however many spot there are).

Also not included in the post under ATC Benefits, with the pay scales, is the fact that we get 10% pay differential for all hours worked between 6 PM and 6 AM (called night diff), and 25% differential paid for all work done on Sundays. If you're an ATC Instructor, you also get paid 10% differential for allnthe time that you are giving OJT on control positions. And time and a half for OT (which is anything more then 40 hours in 1 week), and double time on all holidays. If the holiday falls on your weekend, then you get the double time paid on another day that falls adjacent to your weekend. These figures are not included in the base pay scale posted in that other thread. This is all additional pay on top of your base pay plus locality pay.

The current application states that you must put "United States" and "Throughout The Nation" in your preferences. By following these instructions, will I be placing my city assignment at the whim of the FAA? Or will I have any other opportunities to state my preference? I am interested in making the switch to ATC, but only if I can be assigned to MKE...I cannot justify moving my family again. Any advice would be helpful!

Latest resources

Back