• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Off-duty TSA entry question

densoo

Total Time
yes
You're on a trip and the layover is at the airport hotel in a major hub. You don't want to spend $30 for dinner at the hotel. Do TSA rules allow you to go through security using your ID in civilian clothes to access the wonderful cuisine inside the airport? I heard somewhere that you can go in to conduct duty such as go to a crew area to use the computers for bidding or to check your schedule, but can you go in for non-duty purposes like eating? (although getting adequate nutrition at a reasonable price might be considered duty related).

RedDogC130

Total Time
enough
are you serious....you can do whatever you want. I have gone in to buy golf supplies because with the discount it is cheaper than at the golf store down the road.

Ualexpress

Total Time
I have done it at Pittsburgh when we stayed at the Hyatt(?) which is connected to the terminal.

Bavarian Chef

Registered jetBluser
Total Time
Is this a serious question? You only use your crew ID when you are in uniform?

Huh?

WTF does TSA care what you are wearing? And it's none of their business what I am doing.

mynameisjim

Don't try this at home
Total Time
Paycut
I meet people connecting for food, buy stuff at the crew store, check my mailbox, etc.

SteelerMan

Total Time
As long as you are at a terminal that your airline services, you're good to go, just prepare to take your shoes off. At some terminals your airline doesn't have service, you will not be able to get through with just your id (in or out of uniform) cheers.

glasspilot

Total Time
9K'ish
I'm sure it was a serious question. Be sure to post when the "operation" is so I can be on the ground when your organization attacks the U.S.A. again.

To those providing details on how to circumvent TSA security...thanks. The Kinkos ID suggestion was great! Nice work.

C-150ETOPS

Total Time
8800+
After your partner enters the stall after the "wide stance" invitation, ask him if he's a TSA guy :nuts:

seefive

Total Time
Some airports require you to have a security pass from the ticket counter to get through security. Others will let you in with just your id. it's decided by the local airport. Doesn't matter what you're wearing.