Obtaining an Australian license

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ultrarunner

Has anyone gone through the process of getting the AUS license?

I would be there longer than 3 months so would need the full license as opposed to the visitor.

Not sure if I would plan on flying for hire...but I suppose I'd get at least the commercial or ATP.

Anyone done this?

thanks

Yeah, just re-label one of your credit cards "CASA" and you'll be heading in the right direction.

You can only bypass the theory exams if you hold an FAA ATP. Otherwise it's the whole lot, including the IREX. To be honest it's not really worth it unless you hold residency. It'll probably cost you around $4-5K, depending on how much flying you do and how many exams you fail. Most take the IREX twice.....

Yeah, just re-label one of your credit cards "CASA" and you'll be heading in the right direction.

You can only bypass the theory exams if you hold an FAA ATP.

I do.

Otherwise it's the whole lot, including the IREX. To be honest it's not really worth it unless you hold residency. It'll probably cost you around $4-5K, depending on how much flying you do and how many exams you fail. Most take the IREX twice.....

Geez...I maybe I'll get the visitor license, and maybe see if I can scam getting it renewed a couple of times....

Ultra,

I'd call Flight Crew Licensing in Canberra and talk to them.

The problem I think you'll run into is that, IF you fail an exam, there is a mandatory waiting period before you can retake it. It's been a few years since I did all mine but it's at least 2 weeks, possibly a month. And that's assuming you can book a slot at the testing centre for that exam as quickly as possible. I'm not sure how long you're going for, it might not be worth the effort.

I'd be suprised if you had any problem with either the CPL and ATPL, Air Law exams that you'd have to take. It's the IREX that's the bastard......especially if you have no prior knowledge or experience of flying in Australia.

If you need any more info, pm me.

Hey Kenny, thanks for the info. If I go, I'll be down there for a year...maybe 18 months or so. I just want to be able to go out and fly around a bit....

Sounds like a visitor license would be the way to go.

I'll call licensing and see what they have to say.

thanks

I think what you are talking about for a "visitor" license is what the FAA does on "issued on the basis of a foreign certificate". That is supposed to be something that all ICAO member countries will do but in reality it never works well. I have picked up a certificate in Italy, Malawi, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica and Hungary like that but been turned down in most of Europe, including Spain, and in all the Asian countries. I got a full Swiss certificate that was funny as it stated as a restriction, "not valid in Switzerland"!! It allowed me to fly Swiss registered aircraft under their version of 135 but not in Switzerland itself. Oh well......

Latest resources

Back