Obtaining a Alaska int. from AirInc Conf

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

davis

Has anyone received an Alaska Airlines interview (without a Ref or silver bullet)
by attending an Air Inc Seminar?

I have a friend who got an interview out of an air Inc. conf and I have heard of others who have also...BUT that was 2-3 years ago and in today's market and with Alaska's published hiring plans for the next year, I sincerely doubt it. When I visited the Alaska table at the Atlanta conf 2 years ago, he looked at my resume and said it looked good and then asked if I knew someone who could put in a silver bullet for me. That is how I ultimately got a call.

I had a buddy who attended an Air Inc conference last summer and got a call to interview last November after talking with LP there. I have another friend who is convinced that the reason he was called was because he talked to the pilot recruiters at Air Inc, but that was a couple of years ago.
Of course all of this was back when there were other airlines hiring which meant that the folks who stood in line at the Alaska booth were genuinely interested in living and working in the Pac NW and interested in working for Alaska in lieu of the "big" 5. When I attended an Air Inc conference last fall, Alaska was the only major who attended who was actively interviewing and hiring pilots. Guess who's booth had the longest line? Seriously, over 400 guys/gals stood in line at the Alaska booth. How many of those got interview calls? My guess would be not many that didn't also have internal recs. Alaska has been very happy with the types of pilots it has hired over the past and it is my belief that they would very much like to continue to hire pilots who genuinely wanted to work at Alaska before they were "the only game in town."
All that being said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get some face time with a pilot recruiter and you never know, maybe you'll get lucky like my two buddies above!

A friend got interviewed on sunday of last summer's ATL Airinc conference. But he was moving to Portland to fly for the guard and from the NW. They really look for a true commitment to staying out there.

P.S.
Pay attention to thier presentation during the forum. They use that as a prescreen when you finally talk to them after standing in line for 3 hours. They know they are one of the few games in town and actively weed out the "just want a job anywhere" people. They give lots of interesting tidbits during their presentation, pay attention. When you finally get to the front of the line, it almost feels like a mini interview. Do well, and you may get invited behind the curtain. Get to know some Alaska pilots, for the second question will be "Do you know anyone at our company?" after "Why are interested in Alaska?"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back