Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pgcfii2002

"Uh....oh yeah...&quo
So how does one acquire the 500 hours cross country?

1200 hours total time (at least 900 in airplane)
500 hours cross country (airport to airport)
50 hours multiengine airplane, 100+ preferred
100 hours night
75 hours instrument (at least 50 in flight)
U.S. Citizenship or right to work in U.S.
FAA Commercial or ATP Certificate with: Airplane Single and Multiengine Land
Instrument Airplane rating

So how does one acquire the 500 hours cross country?

1200 hours total time (at least 900 in airplane)
500 hours cross country (airport to airport)
50 hours multiengine airplane, 100+ preferred
100 hours night
75 hours instrument (at least 50 in flight)
U.S. Citizenship or right to work in U.S.
FAA Commercial or ATP Certificate with: Airplane Single and Multiengine Land
Instrument Airplane rating

Umm...this may be crazy, but fly from one airport to another. If you are a CFI, have students fly to another airport to practice landings. Dropzone pilots have a hard time accumulating this time.

If ur going for an ATP I think u can log all flight time as x-c no matter how far the other destination airport is. I could easily be wrong tho

Umm...this may be crazy, but fly from one airport to another. If you are a CFI, have students fly to another airport to practice landings. Dropzone pilots have a hard time accumulating this time.

I already have maybe 350 hours X-C.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to land at the other airport for it to count as x-c (if you're logging it for an ATP). Low approach to the point where a landing is assured is as far as you need to go for it to count. But don't quote me on that...

I agree...flight instruct. If you have enough students, you'll build up a lot of x/c time during that phase. I also agree to avoid flying skydivers...I had a friend who screwed himself because he flew jumpers for a LONG time, and then when he wanted to get a 135 job he couldn't. He had tons of Total Time, and a lot of turbine PIC (Caravan), but had very little x/c time.

My only other thought would be looking into places in need of ferry pilots...but w/o that much x/c time it may be tough getting into that biz. I have no idea what experience people look for in a ferry pilot, even if it's a C152.

The ATP does require point to point atleast 50nm. Part 135 PIC requirements may be met with any distance as long as another airport is involved.

I agree....ATP X-C does not necessitate a landing.

For the purposes of obtaining an ATP, X-country is defined as flight between any 2 different airports, the 50nm rule does not apply.

Example;

You take off from airport XYZ and fly 10nm to ABC; That's defined as X-Country time

You take offf from XYZ fly 60nm, turn around and land back at XYZ; that is not a X-country flight.

The 50 nm rule only applies for obtaining a private pilot cert.

For the purposes of obtaining an ATP, X-country is defined as flight between any 2 different airports, the 50nm rule does not apply.

Example;

You take off from airport XYZ and fly 10nm to ABC; That's defined as X-Country time

You take offf from XYZ fly 60nm, turn around and land back at XYZ; that is not a X-country flight.

The 50 nm rule only applies for obtaining a private pilot cert.

The 50 nm rule applies to private, commercial, instrument and ATP. The difference for ATP candidates is as pgcfii2002 and t-bone indicated, landing is not required.

Latest resources

Back