Obama vs McCain - re: Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

j41driver

Just had this emailed to me. Must read if you're employed by the airlines....

Barack Obama:
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CABOTAGE [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]​

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
  • Supports upholding cabotage laws limiting foreign flights between US cities.
FOREIGN CONTROL AND OWNERSHIP
[/FONT]​
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]​

• Shares "legitimate concerns about the liberalization of control of U.S. airlines."
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]"I will work to ensure that foreign investors remain minority shareholders in U.S. airlines."
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
SAFETY AND AIRCREW FATIGUE
[/FONT]​

• Supports NTSB and FAA efforts to strengthen airline safety.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
    [*]States that a critical component of safety is ensuring that flight crews are not overworked.
    [/FONT]
    [*]"My administration will take the issue of pilot fatigue seriously."
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
BANKRUPTCY REFORM
[/FONT]​

• Strongly supports restoring the original intent of Section 1113 to protect employee rights during the bankruptcy process.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
    [*]Worked with Senator Durbin on the Protecting Employees and Retirees in Business. Bankruptcies Act of 2007, which was recently introduced in the U.S. Senate, this legislation would strengthen Section 1113.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
PENSION REFORM AND PROTECTION
[/FONT]​

• Is a proud original cosponsor of S.1270, which corrects the inequity at the PBGC penalizing airline pilots forced to retire at age 60.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
    [*]Strongly supports correcting the inequity in our pension system.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
[/FONT]​

• "I will restore the meaning of U.S. labor protections and laws, including the Railway Labor Act, and reverse the dangerous actions of the Bush administration."
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
    [*]Spoke out against the Bush Administration’s imposition of a contract for NATCA.
    [/FONT]
    [*]Supports the Employee Free Choice Act which helps to restore balance to the organizing process.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
FAA REAUTORIZATION AND PASSENGER BILL OF RIGHTS
[/FONT]​

• Supports fully funding the modernization of air traffic control systems.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
    [*]Supports a Passenger Bill of Rights.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
EAS AND UNDERSERVED AREAS
[/FONT]​

• Obama has worked across party lines to protect funding for transportation in rural, small and mid-sized communities.
AIRPORT SECURITY
[/FONT]​

• Supports increasing the number of screeners, improved funding for aviation security.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
    [*]Calls for the development of a comprehensive, accurate watch list that is used in a way that protects passengers’ privacy.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]​

Cont'd:

John McCain:
CABOTAGE
[/FONT]​
[/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]

[/FONT]
  • States that cabotage rules should be relaxed.
  • [/FONT]
  • [/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]Open to any proposal to promote open skies agreements aviation agreements, believes they should be negotiated like any other GATT or NAFTA item.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]Voted for cabotage exemption in favor of foreign air cargo carriers, increasing cargo flights from China four-fold.
FOREIGN CONTROL AND OWNERSHIP
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • "I have sponsored legislation in the past that would increase the permissible level of foreign investment from 25 to 49 percent."
  • [/FONT]
  • [/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]Advocates privatizing the air traffic control system.
SAFETY AND AIRCREW FATIGUE
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • Believes that addressing flight attendant fatigue is "ridiculous."
  • [/FONT]
    [*]Voted against safety and security standards for US aircraft repairs performed overseas.
BANKRUPTCY REFORM
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • McCain voted against extended jobless benefits for laid-off airline workers, including unemployment, job-retraining and health benefits.
PENSION REFORM AND PROTECTION
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • In 1992, fought to cut pilot pension rights, in an attempt to block unionization at FedEx.
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • Supports "baseball style" binding arbitration for transportation workers.
  • [/FONT]
    [*]Supports employers’ ability to hire replacement workers.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    [*]Three times voted to support Frank Lorenzo’s bankruptcy filing at Eastern.
    [/FONT]
    [*]"Concerned" how the RLA covers pilots flying overseas routes for U.S. carriers.
    [/FONT]
    [*]Twice voted to deny TSA workers the right to unionize.
    [/FONT]
    [*]Supported the Bush Administration’s decision to impose a contract on NATCA.
FAA REAUTHORIZATION AND PASSENGER BILL OF RIGHTS
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • Wants to remove the perimeter at Reagan National airport.
  • [/FONT]
    [*]Previously added an earmark to FAA Reauthorization for America West DCA-PHX service.
EAS AND UNDERSERVED AREAS
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • Supports deregulation.
  • [/FONT]
    [*]Not a strong supporter of EAS program.
AIRPORT SECURITY
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • Fought funding for increased Air Marshalls, screeners and TSA explosives detection systems.
  • [/FONT]
    [*]Voted to gut flight attendant anti-terrorism training requirements.
    [/FONT]
    [*]Supported $752M in cuts to aviation security programs.
AMERICAN JOBS
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]
  • "I firmly object to Buy America provisions…"
  • [/FONT]
    [*]McCain wrote letters to Department of Defense urging them to OK the EADS-Airbus tanker deal.
    [/FONT]
    [*]Five high-level McCain campaign staffers are former lobbyists for EADS-Airbus.
    [/FONT]
    [*]EADS-Airbus lobbyists and employees donate more to McCain than any other politician.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

The clear choice seems to be Obama.

Someone posted this again?! These are all airline pilot issues. If you fly corporate, fractional, government, or military (all the places yoiu go when you get furloughed and want to stay in aviation) then McCain is the better choice. Obama intends to raise taxes on corporations and personal income and cut military and DHS spending.

Her was my response when this was posted like two weeks ago:

After reading many of your posts I find that you and for that matter "Rez" have a very narrow view of aviation. You think only in terms of how things affect airline pilots. The anti-corporate rants are the most interesting. If you are both airline pilots you are employed by corporations (not unions as you seem to think), fly aircraft built by major corporations, that run on fuel providied by major corporations, and the most profitable segment of airline travel is business travel which is conducted by people who work for corporations.

I used to be an airline pilot and then I got smart. I decided it was time to quit worrying about my job and move on. I became a corporate pilot. The more corporations grow, the better things become for corporate pilots. The more rich people the more places like Net Jets expand and hire furloughed airline pilots. The constant class warfare talk put out by a bunch of millionaire Democrat politicians directly threatens whole segments of aviation. I don't know why you continue to support these people. If you get furloughed your only hurting your chances of another job.

Republicans also have grown goverment aviation. Many of my friends that were airline pilots with me now work for Customs and Border Patrol. They are still hiring if you are looking.

Republican plans to drill for more oil keeps another huge segment of pilots to work in the Oil Industry. Ever heard of PHI or AirLog? These companies are union and employ hundreds of pilots. Think if they started drilling off Florida and CA. Sure oil companies would get rich but it would create hundreds of good paying pilot jobs. Start now and work on your helo ratings and there may be a job for you when you get furloughed. You know Pelosi/Obama are against this right?

Obama wants gas prices to stay high so we start to look for alternative forms of energy. He has a planet to save! Lets not do it gradually, lets all suffer for the common good. Obama is against cabotage as you keep posting over and over, do you think that this is the big issue plaging airlines? I think its $8 a gallon jet fuel, which is just what the dems want. I'd rather have cabotage and drilling than no cabotage and no drilling.

Try to expand your horizons. A few of Obama's policies might be good for airline pilots but are lousy for pretty much every other group of pilots. Honestly though unless Obama has a plan to reduce fuel prices things will not get better for airline pilots until we come up with some electric powered jets.

In summary:

Obama-No drilling-no new jobs for oil industry pilots, airlines suffer, furlough guys like you.

Obama-Tax the rich-rich people fly less, fewer jobs for Net Jets, fewer places for furloughed airline pilots to go.

Obama-Tax corporations-reduces the number of corporate flight departments, less jobs for furlouged airline pilots

Obama-Cut governement spending on Military and DHS-Less pilot jobs in government sector aviation, less jobs for furloughed pilots.

SPIN CITY!

You can tell which side this is slanted for:

Obama:
"I will work to ensure that foreign investors remain minority shareholders in U.S. airlines."

McCain: Supports max 49% foreign ownership.

No spin version:

Barack Obama and John McCain both support minority ownership by foreign investors.

McCain's support for privatization of ATC and disdain for AOPA Chief Phil Boyer concern me though. (Boyer just retired -- interesting coincidence.) Palin family owns a Super Cub and hubby Todd is a card-carrying AOPA member so maybe they will tug McCain's coat tail on the issue.

Not an airline pilot, but even if I was McCain, while not my first choice among Repubs, gets my vote against Obama for many, many reasons.

Well you can't make correct decisions all the time. You would think that after 8 years of Republican crap you guys would wise up. Anybody considering voting for McCain is dead wrong!

Latest resources

Back