• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Hey, gang,
going to pick up an O-2 next week for a buyer. Sound airplane, fresh annual, etc. Any specific advice from anyone with experience in these?

If you have flown the push-pull in civilian config, the one thing you will notice is that the Mil version is HEAVY. Especially if it has the mil spec radios still installed. I flew it in a high density altitude situation so it was an issue. Very stable IFR platform and well behaved. Other than that, just make sure the aft engine is making power, watch it like a hawk when climbing, heat has been an issue. Other than that, it flies real nice. Heed the warnings about delaying raising the gear after a "V1 Cut" the gear can make strange drag.....Good luck...

This one is an o-2 that was certified as a 337. Civilian interior, so no radios back there. I've got zero experience with this airplane (O-2 or 337), so consider me uninitiated.

Thanks and keep it coming...

This one is an o-2 that was certified as a 337. Civilian interior, so no radios back there. I've got zero experience with this airplane (O-2 or 337), so consider me uninitiated.

Thanks and keep it coming...

The interior radio package was one weight contributor, the other was structure. The Mil-spec O2 had underwing hard points etc. that added weight. Nice bird though, no bad habits, flew like a C210 as I recall. Did have a screwy way of indicating a rear engine failure, it was a light that came on after the alternator stopped charging, silly though, you would have suspect as much before the silly light came on :) ...did I say watch the delay for V1 cut gear retraction? Ask me how I know......The best thing to do is make it a Reily Rocket!

I love a good story...do tell.

Are you saying to delay the gear retraction until you have some altitude/energy to burn?

Thanks!

Yes, the gear doors, if installed, open before the gear legs retract, (then the doors close again upon the retraction sequence) act as speed brakes when in the airstream. odd design......maybe the story after the statute of limitations expire!

Well, picked up the O-2 on Saturday morning and flew it 1500 miles that day. Dead simple. Really comfortable, really economical. I have to say, I really like that airplane a lot already.

One thing....when you raise the gear on that thing it is as if someone reached up and grabbed the tail. It just stops going. Wild.

SV,

Make sure your (or the owner's) insurance covers you if you have no previous time in the 337/O-2. I know a couple different companies have very specific requirements for coverage just because of the proportionately high mishap rate due in large part to the previously mentioned aft engine out scenario that the pilot never realized until it was too late.

Mike-

Latest resources

Back