NY times article about Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Citrus531

I looked to see if this had been posted in the last couple days...if it was, sorry...but very interesting about what this pax did

For nearly four hours last Thursday night, Flight 5637, a 50-seat regional jet, was stuck on the ground by bad weather at Kennedy International Airport. The air-conditioning wasn’t working, and no one seemed to have a clue about when the plane would take off.
Skip to next paragraph Chris Gash

I wish I could say I was writing about this because the situation was unusual. Or that it was as bad as air travel can get. But I can’t.
What was unusual was that one passenger on the flight, David Ollila, runs a company that makes video cameras the size of a roll of quarters for mountain bikers, skiers and other amateur athletes to attach to their helmets and capture their thrills. And Mr. Ollila had one of those little cameras with him.
He marched up to the plane’s front, stood a few feet from the open cockpit door and interviewed the captain, demanding to know why something wasn’t being done to get the passengers off the plane.
He got a few replies on camera. Then the police arrived. The passengers all filed off. The flight was canceled. Mr. Ollila said he was questioned inside the airport by the Port Authority police and a Transportation Security Administration officer. After a background check, “they determined I was not a threat,” he said.

He was released without charge.
Flight 5637, New York to Detroit, was operated by Comair, a subsidiary of Delta Air Lines. Kate Marx, a spokeswoman for Comair, confirms that the police responded twice to the plane — once to “evaluate” a sick teenager and a few hours later to deal with a report of a possible disruptive passenger (that would be Mr. Ollila).
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says no official report was filed. Christopher White, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, confirmed that agency officials did respond to a report from the captain, questioned Mr. Ollila, and determined that he neither posed a threat nor violated security rules.

Mr. Ollila said he decided to make his move at around 9.30 p.m, when the captain announced that the crew had “timed out." — that is, had approached the safety limit on its work hours — and that a new crew was being sought. Figuring that could add hours to the ordeal, he sprang into action as a citizen journalist.

"People were crying; people were throwing up,” he said. “The air-conditioning was not working. It was just becoming a mess.”
Mr. Ollila, 37, is the founder of V.I.O. Inc., a Michigan company that makes the tiny cameras, which it calls “wearable video technology.”
The police and the T.S.A. official who questioned him were “terrific," he said. Afterward, “they all wanted me to give them a demonstration of the camera," said Mr. Ollila, who knows a marketing opportunity when he sees one. (To see it, go to www.vio-pov.com. The company’s main Web site is www.viosport.com)

Now, I could (and God help me, might) spend the rest of this summer writing about delays, cancellations and airplanes packed with people stranded without being able to get off because of bad weather, bad scheduling, bad airline management, the inability of the Federal Aviation Administration to handle growing air traffic — or a combination of the above. Each week, there are reports of long delays and stranded flights.
Flight 5637 boarded at 6 p.m., more than an hour late. Shortly after boarding, Mr. Ollila said, “the pilot announced that the air-conditioning system was broken, and it would be uncomfortable, but that we should be under way shortly."

By 9.30 p.m., some passengers were standing in the narrow aisle and fanning themselves and children with magazines. Mr. Ollila approached the cockpit.
“I figured if I started recording and asking the pilots what was going on and why they couldn’t make a decision to get people off the plane that the police would come and take us off — and that is exactly what happened,”he said.
I’ve seen Mr. Ollila’s recording. At first the captain asks if Mr. Ollila is “recording," to which Mr. Ollila replies that he is. Still, the captain replied to Mr. Ollila’s persistent questions for about five minutes. In his responses, the captain basically said he had no authority to release the passengers without approval from Comair’s headquarters. “He said, ‘If you keep this up I’m going to have to call the police.’ I said, ‘That’s an excellent idea,’ " Mr. Ollila said.
Ms. Marx, the Comair spokeswoman, confirmed the details of the incident, but she said the captain’s options were limited. On the night in question, she said, Kennedy was experiencing departure delays averaging three hours, and removing passengers from a plane means losing a slot in the takeoff line.
Since he stayed out of the cockpit, Mr. Ollila evidently was not in violation of security rules.

Airline chaos is the travel story of this year. I’ve written in the past about the efforts of a real estate agent from the San Francisco area, Kate Hanni, who got so motivated after being stranded for eight hours on a plane with overflowing toilets that she now works full-time lobbying for federal legislation to address passengers’ rights.

What a deek. If flying is so bad, why not take the train? nobodys got a gun to this guys head to buy a airline ticket out of the JFK (well know for delays).

This story was featured this morning on the Today show and they interviewed the guy with the camera. Four hours is a long time to spend on a packed CRJ with no air. Doesn't Comair have an "event recovery" program that NW developed after their problems a few years ago? The CRJ was on the ramp, what was so hard about dropping the stairs and grabbing a gate agent to deboard when it was obvious that they weren't going anywhere? The captain claimed that he didn't want to "lose his place in line" and that's why he kept them on the plane so long. I see Comair getting hit with around 50 lawsuits over this one...

from the tape, when they boarded, the crew thought they were going to get right out. the weather moved in, and they stayed at the gate. from what i've heard, the crew called Ops to be deplaned. Ops said the ramp was closed and refused. the captain said he might deplane anyway, and Ops said the Port Authority would hold him responsible. they finally deplaned after the crew timed out.

from the tape, when they boarded, the crew thought they were going to get right out. the weather moved in, and they stayed at the gate. from what i've heard, the crew called Ops to be deplaned. Ops said the ramp was closed and refused. the captain said he might deplane anyway, and Ops said the Port Authority would hold him responsible. they finally deplaned after the crew timed out.

I think we are on the same sheet of music. I said this on another post. There is more to the story. Call Matt Lauer. We need some pilots to appear on the Today Show. Set the record straight. These dumb a$$ reporters know nothing about flying.

There were rampies walking around on the ramp, so it obviously wasn't that bad out there. And even though the ramp may be closed, the company should have a contingency plan to get passengers off of a plane, regardless of ramp conditions. Should be interesting to hear how this one pans out, especially after NW and JB have been hammered with lawsuits over similar situations.

Sometimes there just isn't a solution.

I diverted once to BHM with about 8 other planes. The passengers wanted off. only 2 airport gate agent types at work that time of day. Can you imagine the friggin CHAOS involved with deplaning, keeping track of, rounding up and reboarding 9 airplanes? It would be nearly impossible.

PAX didn't care or want to hear it. Felt like a mutiny was in the air.

This Comair captain was caught in a trap we have all been in. We don't want to be there either. People need to get a clue. If you are flying and diabetic.....bring your insulin. Have an infant on a so called 20 minute flight? be prepared to feed him if you get stuck.

We do need to get the other side of the story out.

Sometimes there just isn't a solution.

I diverted once to BHM with about 8 other planes. The passengers wanted off. only 2 airport gate agent types at work that time of day. Can you imagine the friggin CHAOS involved with deplaning, keeping track of, rounding up and reboarding 9 airplanes? It would be nearly impossible.

PAX didn't care or want to hear it. Felt like a mutiny was in the air.

This Comair captain was caught in a trap we have all been in. We don't want to be there either. People need to get a clue. If you are flying and diabetic.....bring your insulin. Have an infant on a so called 20 minute flight? be prepared to feed him if you get stuck.

We do need to get the other side of the story out.

DAMN RIGHT. It's not like we show up to work looking to screw the people who are responsible for our pay checks but things happen. Delays and broken airplanes happen. From now on maybe we should refuse to fly an airplane that has deferred items such as an apu or ac packs. Too hot. Well shut the operation down!!!!!!!!!!!! Passenger safety.

What they won't report is that Delta forces the feeders to operate this way. Delta will always defer comment to the feeder in question as to portray they have nothing to do with the situation. Poor management, low operating budgets, an unmotivated, undertrained and underexperienced workforce coupled with copmletion factor goals add up to an unsafe and uncomfortable environment in which we work.

Last edited:
I applaud this captain for trying to complete the mission without a working air conditioner. I wish more of our ASA pilots would follow suit and stop refusing airplanes for silly mechanical problems like this.

Latest resources

Back