Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mdanno808

Maika'i Card Member
Saw on the ALPA web-board that a strike vote was scheduled for the 13th. Any news on when the results will be released? Any predictions?

Judge is expected to make his ruling tomorrow on tossing out the contracts or not. I have heard from several legal experts in the field on both opinions that the strike isnt legal and that it is legal......voting is expected to take 2 weeks. Should be a bumpy ride in any case

Interesting thing about the NWA situation. Even if the judge rules that the pilots can't strike due to the BK proceedings (which I don't think will happen), AMFA is still technically on strike, and the pilots may lawfully engage in a sympathy strike. A lot of other groups sold off the right to sympathy strike, but in this case, it's still an option for the pilots.

Same result.

Nu

That is an interesting angle - the sympathy strike. Would definitely get the desired result. I also have ground crew contacts at NWA and the word from them is they are expecting a majority "NO" to their contract vote..........

Flying into MSP yesterday I saw a few baggage carts and tugs had the words "VOTE NO" spray painted on them.

Heard it was also painted on that wimp Steenlunds house too - also heard that ************************* stuck his tail between his legs and moved out of town. It gets a little hot in the kitchen and that pig runs scared.

Just off the phone w/ a friend in the 757 - cards are due the 23rd I think he said. Should pass with close to 80% or more voting yes. Management can stick it hard!!

Baja.

Judge Gives NWA, Unions More Negotiation Time

(AP) NEW YORK The bankruptcy judge overseeing Northwest Airlines Corp.'s financial reorganization efforts on Thursday gave the carrier and its unions until the end of next week to come up with an alternative to their collective bargaining agreements.

Judge Allan Gropper, who is overseeing the case, had until Thursday to decide on the carrier's request to throw out its union contracts. He pushed back that decision until the close of business on Feb. 24, allowing the carrier and its unions more time to negotiate.

"We appreciate Judge Gropper giving the parties additional time to work out their differences," said Bill Mellon, spokesman for Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines. "We continue to believe that it is in the best interests of all parties to reach consensual agreements prior to Judge Gropper's ruling."

Northwest, which filed for bankruptcy protection in September, is seeking $1.4 billion in annual savings from its labor unions to help it emerge from bankruptcy protection. It said it needs to cut labor costs to compete better with low-cost carriers and absorb rising fuel costs.

In January, the airline asked the judge to throw out its collective bargaining agreements with its unions. The unions have said they may strike if the agreements are voided.

Andy Damis, secretary-treasurer for the flight attendants union, the Professional Flight Attendants Association, said he had expected the ruling to be pushed back.

Progress is coming "in fits and starts," Damis said. "Sometimes it seems like we're going backwards, but other times we appear to be making good progress."

According to the order issued by Gropper, representatives of the pilots union, the carrier's flight attendants union and Northwest's attorneys agreed to extension. Attorneys met with the judge in his chambers for nearly three hours on Thursday before he granted it.

Mellon said Northwest continues to have daily discussions with both unions on new contracts.

Latest resources

Back