Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA signs 10 year agreement to fly NBA/NHL teams with 7 A319s...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

This information below was provided by an Airliners.net person called NWA757300. Apparently the contract was signed today with the NBA/NHL teams. Those charters are usually fairly profitable (we do plenty of NFL and baseball charters at DL), so that is good.

"Northwest has entered into an agreement with the National Association (NBA) to provide exclusive charter service to sixteen for the next ten years. As part of that agreement, the NBA will have the use of seven A319 aircraft, which will be reconfigured to provide 54 first class seats, club seating with three tables and handheld IFE devices.

The teams initially participating are:

Atlanta Hawks
Minnesota Timberwolves
Charlotte Bobcats
New Jersey Nets
Cleveland Caveliers
Orlando Magic
Golden State Warriors
Philadelphia 76er's
Indiana Pacers
Philadelphia Flyers (NHL)
L.A. Clippers
San Antonio Spurs
LA Lakers
Seattle Sonics
Memphis Grizzlies
Washington Wizards

Additional NBA and other sports teams may join the program as the season progresses...

During the off season NW will reconfigure the aircraft for regular scheduled passenger service. When NW operated these charters in the late 90s they were with the 727. This was a very successful program for NW in the late 90s and there was talk of having a dedicated fleet for VIP charters at one time. Hopefully Delta will build this program."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
It was a great, and VERY profitable operation with the 727's so hopefully it will be another success with the 319's. Haven't seen the interiors yet but was told they are done similar to the 727's back then, which was a fantastic corporate interior with swivel Captain's chairs around mahogany tables, fold down LCD's, massage tables, etc. The NBA LOVED the aft airstair setup on the 727 but I guess they will make do with going down jetway stairs. Surprised to see the Atlanta Hawks on the list. I haven't kept up with any of that but I know back during the 727 days the Hawks had their own 737 based in ATL that they parked on the north ramp.

For the crews, lots of late night ops but very cushy trips overall. And you wouldn't believe how well those guys eat onboard. No Skychef's garbage. All catered locally from their designated companies/restaurants

We also used those 727's for some NHL charters and White House press corp charters in and out of Andrews AFB. Fun stuff overall and a nice break from the routine.

Surprised to see the Atlanta Hawks on the list. I haven't kept up with any of that but I know back during the 727 days the Hawks had their own 737 based in ATL that they parked on the north ramp.

I used to fly that plane. It was Pace Airlines before the whole Hooters thing ruined it all. Ted Turner actually owned the plane and he leased the crews from Peidmont-Hawthorne Aviation dba Pace Airlines. We also had planes for the Hornets, Wizards, and Nicks. All were 737-200 basics but, the Nicks plane was a -400 with a 5.7 million dollar interior. Fricken nice!

Now, its kinda funny that the first airline that I flew for did the Hawks charters and now the fourth airline (and hopefully last) is now going to fly them.

The Seattle Sonics don't exist. I think they have now become the Oklahoma Two Teeth Hickory Redneck Boring State Flat Landers.

Just wondering, who get to fly these charters, line guys or does managment suck up these good deals??

Just wondering, who get to fly these charters, line guys or does managment suck up these good deals??

Line pilots. The scheduled charters go into the monthly bid packet, and the ad-hoc charters go into open flying.

Nu

Reserves Too

Line pilots. The scheduled charters go into the monthly bid packet, and the ad-hoc charters go into open flying.

Nu
I flew a lot of them as a reserve FO on the 727, so anyone can end up flying them. They were a nice break from the routine and the food was great! Most of it was late night flying to the FBO side of the airport.

Latest resources

Back