NWA Recalls MEC Chairman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NuGuy said:
This MEC meeting was held in the same fashion as every other one, and now this is hiding away?

Yup. Motions to close the meeting so no pilots could attend. Attempts to make the balloting secret so that no pilots would know how their reps voted. A 5-hour secret caucus (no pilots allowed) to plot the ambush.

Not exactly the "same fashion".

NuGuy said:
Boy, the hatchet job on the FO rep in MSP was defeated and now this...gosh, what's next? Maybe MSP isn't the center of the universe after all? Could this be? Nah...

You need to get better information before you put your foot in it. None of the motions to recall were even introduced at the MSP meeting.

eaglefly said:
The bottom third of the pilot group are future Compass regional pilots (those who stay).

Can you provide a source for you assertion?

Do you even work at NWA; been to any meetings, or received anything in the mail?

I thought so.

The rest are pole vaulting back 15 years and will eventually see their pension sacked.

Any source for this claim?

Have you spoken with the Director of Crew Planning, or the ALPA rep involved in SCOPE / Crew compliance? (I have).

Have Congressmen been e-mailing you, relating how the Pension legislation was dead in the water?

Have you received any updates regarding the progress of this legislation; where it is in Committee, & an anticipated time frame that action will be taken on it? (I have).

I thought not.

320AV8R

Occam's Razor said:
You need to get better information before you put your foot in it. None of the motions to recall were even introduced at the MSP meeting.

Same thing. It was on the agenda, and when the redbook dudes pushing for this travesty saw it was a quagmire, they didn't even show.

Nu

The previous vp of ops SCAB(for those that don't know he is the only one who went to work during our 98 strike) was leading the charge against MSP Fo Rep. did not have the guts to show. He let someone else carry in his dirty work. ....edited to remove personal information. the union leadership claimed he is not a SCAB because he donated his paycheck (only after the uproar).

Last edited by a moderator:
Occam's Razor said:
The MEC is a bunch of cowards. At the special meeting they held last month to recall him, they were met by 100+ line pilots that told them to "grow up" and back off of the recall.

They did.

Then they hide-out during this meeting away from the pilots, and ambush McClain.

Pure cowardice!
Occam,

As I recall, it was decided that it was not appropiate timing for a recall to take place during the vote. If they wanted to recall McClain, they would wait until after the vote. It was the timing that was the issue, not the recall!

On a second note, the MEC voted to recommend a neutral position on the TA. McClain ignored his mandate and used ALPA funds sending out Ziplines supporting the TA (which he was later reprimanded for). The official ALPA information on the TA was extremely lopsided in support of the TA and far from a neutral stance. Fear tactics dominated the MEC message to the pilot group. The fear of IMPOSITION, LIQUIDATION, and LOSS OF PENSION was a very strong theme in every message from the McClain / Dollaway team.

Apparently, everything they said was proven wrong. The financials were much better than anyone would have tought. McClain decided not to share this information with the members (the PFAA did). The Flight Attendants proved that managemant could not immediately impose a contract. They also proved that management would go back to the table. They also proved non-ratification would not result in an imminent liquidation. Also, it is very questionable that the pension will be saved even though the "message" to the members was that voting against this TA was a vote against your pension.

I think there are many members who already have "buyers regret" for this TA. I believe the 63% vote was largely swayed by 2 issues. 1) The effective fear mongering in the official ALPA communications prior and during the voting process, and 2) members were turned off by the timing of the initial recall effort.

McClain, through his personnal actions and via his leadership (many would argue lack of leadership), did a grave disservice to the NWA pilot group (my opinion, which I am entitled to!). If the members of ALPA feel that we would be better served with new leadership, this process is 100% legitimate. By the way, it is no secret as to which member voted which way on the recall. It is also ironic that some members who say "we need a change in leadership" voted not to recall McClain. Are they talking about DW?

My opinion - McClain is far too friendly with management and is far more interested in looking out for a specific segment of the seniority list--not so interestsed in the whole seniority list. I have a feeling you're going to disagree. Hopefully you do so in a civil manner--maybe I'm misreading you, but you seem fairly emotional about this issue.

I certainly hope we see a change for the better,
Schwanker

Last edited:
Schwanker said:
Occam,

As I recall, it was decided that it was not appropiate timing for a recall to take place during the vote. If they wanted to recall McClain, they would wait until after the vote. It was the timing that was the issue, not the recall!

On a second note, the MEC voted to recommend a neutral position on the TA. McClain ignored his mandate and used ALPA funds sending out Ziplines supporting the TA (which he was later reprimanded for). The official ALPA information on the TA was extremely lopsided in support of the TA and far from a neutral stance. Fear tactics dominated the MEC message to the pilot group. The fear of IMPOSITION, LIQUIDATION, and LOSS OF PENSION was a very strong theme in every message from the McClain / Dollaway team.

Apparently, everything they said was proven wrong. The financials were much better than anyone would have tought. McClain decided not to share this information with the members (the PFAA did). The Flight Attendants proved that managemant could not immediately impose a contract. They also proved that management would go back to the table. They also proved non-ratification would not result in an imminent liquidation. Also, it is very questionable that the pension will be saved even though the "message" to the members was that voting against this TA was a vote against your pension.

I think there are many members who already have "buyers regret" for this TA. I believe the 63% vote was largely swayed by 2 issues. 1) The effective fear mongering in the official ALPA communications prior and during the voting process, and 2) members were turned off by the timing of the initial recall effort.

McClain, through his personnal actions and via his leadership (many would argue lack of leadership), did a grave disservice to the NWA pilot group (my opinion, which I am entitled to!). If the members of ALPA feel that we would be better served with new leadership, this process is 100% legitimate. By the way, it is no secret as to which member voted which way on the recall. It is also ironic that some members who say "we need a change in leadership" voted not to recall McClain. Are they talking about DW?

My opinion - McClain is far too friendly with management and is far more interested in looking out for a specific segment of the seniority list--not so interestsed in the whole seniority list. I have a feeling you're going to disagree. Hopefully you do so in a civil manner--maybe I'm misreading you, but you seem fairly emotional about this issue.

I certainly hope we see a change for the better,
Schwanker

Dang Bro,

WELL SAID.

On another note, I think the angst you are seeing from certain personages of the MSP variety stems from the fact that they may have realized that the sun does NOT, in fact, revolve around MSP.

I mean, if it did, wouldn't it be warmer there?

MSP has always had a "us against the barbarians" attitude (very similar, I might add, to the population of Minnesota at large), with DTW and MEM being the great unwashed. ANC, SEA and HNL were always tolerated because they were just more widebody votes in their pocket.

The only good thing that ever came out of MSP was me, when I moved out of there.

Nu

NuGuy said:
Dang Bro,

Ouch!

Although I have never set foot in MSP other than to go to the "Ice Palace",...Your assertion gives new meaning to the term,
"Minneapolis Nice".

And I thought they didn't talk to me because of the extra garlic on my pizza. Geeze!

WELL SAID.

PS Ever wonder what they do during all those long and cold winters?................................................................................................................who gives a $hit!

On another note, I think the angst you are seeing from certain personages of the MSP variety stems from the fact that they may have realized that the sun does NOT, in fact, revolve around MSP.

I mean, if it did, wouldn't it be warmer there?

MSP has always had a "us against the barbarians" attitude (very similar, I might add, to the population of Minnesota at large), with DTW and MEM being the great unwashed. ANC, SEA and HNL were always tolerated because they were just more widebody votes in their pocket.

The only good thing that ever came out of MSP was me, when I moved out of there.

Nu
;wergj;wlerjhg;owerirjhgp;ow4itjhg;ow4it5jhghop;w4itjhg;ow4itg[opw4i5tjgo4i5jg;opwi45jgopqw4i5jgh;opiwq4j5gh;owi4j5tgh;oiw4j5tgh;owi4j5tgh;oiw4jn5tgh;oiw4jn5

jetflier said:
;wergj;wlerjhg;owerirjhgp;ow4itjhg;ow4it5jhghop;w4itjhg;ow4itg[opw4i5tjgo4i5jg;opwi45jgopqw4i5jgh;opiwq4j5gh;owi4j5tgh;oiw4j5tgh;owi4j5tgh;oiw4jn5tgh;oiw4jn5

Give that man another beer!

jetflier said:
Although I have never set foot in MSP other than to go to the "Ice Palace",...Your assertion gives new meaning to the term,
"Minneapolis Nice".

And I thought they didn't talk to me because of the extra garlic on my pizza. Geeze!

On a related note, I found that if I wore a DVD copy of the movie "Fargo" around my neck, like a big medallion, most of the natives would recoil and flee, not unlike the reaction of vampires to a cross.

Nu

Last edited:
As a Blue redtailer, I have to say that McClain being replaced shouldn't be viewed as a negative and that all the rest of the Blue guys should rejoice! Maybe they'll get some representation now.

Change isn't a bad thing and the Red guys have had the ball for far too long. This fragmenting that you're all talking about between groups, domiciles, etc. is poisoning NWAALPA and whomever takes over should do whatever they can to fix all the rifts. It goes against what unionization is about and has not helped in this latest round of concessions.

Woerth should be next...

NuGuy said:
Give that man another beer!

On a related note, I found that if I wore a DVD copy of the movie "Fargo" around my neck, like a big medallion, most of the natives would recoil and flee, not unlike the reaction of vampires to a cross.

Nu

Nu;
If we ever start to hire again "Fargo" needs to be part of the new hire packet.

I saw the movie after working for nwa and suddenly things made sense.

Dave B

Latest resources

Back