• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Recall survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just looked at the NWA Pilot Retirement forecast (based on Age 60 Rule).

07/06 --> 07/07 : 154 pilots retiring (12 month outlook)

07/06 --> 07/08 : 357 pilots retiring (combined 24 months)

With those sorts of retirements and a PERP program going in to effect shortly, furloughed NWA pilots are not going to have to deal with the prospect of going to Compass Airlines for very long at all. And it is my opinion that, if given the opportunity to return, we would be offered captain jobs at a minimum due to attrition, retirement and bypasses. Just my opinion.

But, to answer the question of the day... I think I will go ahead and bypass until I can hold something at the mainline. Partly due to principle, and partly due to the fact that I have a stable, yet slave-like position right now. At least it is putting food on the table and I don't have to worry about another furlough for the time being. I want to return to the mainline just as much as the next guy, but I want to have somewhat of a buffer... fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice?

Is the 3 or 4 year bypass still an option if we are in an employment contract? I wasn't sure if that had been absolved w/ this last contract.

Tail

I agree w/ you guys that Compass is a POS deal to return to. I will only go there if my current major goes down the crapper and I have no choice. Also I would ONLY go there for CA pay. I've also run into some NWA crews out on the road who thought I was crazy not to jump at the chance to return as soon as I can... well let them be surprised when very few of us return and we all bypass... but like I said that can hurry up the decision making process for all of us if it happens like that... unless we can still defer no matter what as long as we have an employment contract. That's what I'm hoping for so I can push things back as long as possible to be able to make a better decision... I just don't have faith in our MEC and NWA Management that more furloughs would happen in a heartbeat if needed.

Tail

tailhookah said:
"I've also run into some NWA crews out on the road who thought I was crazy not to jump at the chance to return as soon as I can... well let them be surprised when very few of us return and we all bypass..."

Sounds like you were talking to a few clueless MSP or ANC people. A few of the DTW people I've talked to lately wonder why anyone would want to return at all.

PS: I wonder when we are going to see our furlough pay!!!!!!!

Last edited:
tailhookah said:
.. well let them be surprised when very few of us return and we all bypass... but like I said that can hurry up the decision making process for all of us if it happens like that... unless we can still defer no matter what as long as we have an employment contract.
Tail

Initial bypasses may be higher than last time ~30%, but as we close in on the end of the furloughs and you have to either give up your number or come back many, if not most of the bypasses will come back. JMO

ExcelDriver said:
I just looked at the NWA Pilot Retirement forecast (based on Age 60 Rule).

07/06 --> 07/07 : 154 pilots retiring (12 month outlook)

07/06 --> 07/08 : 357 pilots retiring (combined 24 months)

With those sorts of retirements and a PERP program going in to effect shortly, furloughed NWA pilots are not going to have to deal with the prospect of going to Compass Airlines for very long at all.

Concur. We have historically been at about 50% plus on the forecast numbers due to medicals, earlies, and a few resignations/terminations. We are probably going to be closer to 100% plus this year.....FWIW

I've heard from three very good sources that in addition to the "normal" age 60 retirements..... we are losing 12 to 15 per month in resignations. The Early Out program will add even more butts out the door. :D

320AV8R

I heard there were 39 resignations in May from someone who resigned. Thats what he was told when he turned in his resignation letter.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back