• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jobear

Titanium Necked Bandit
Northwest To Ground 18% Of DC-9 Fleet, Cut Mechanics
03/18/2005 09:03:40 AM
By Steven Lott
Northwest plans to ground 24 DC-9s in addition to the six already targeted to stop flying this year, causing the loss of as many as 900 mechanic jobs in its hometown.

The airline told employees that its decision is due to record-high fuel prices, U.S. domestic overcapacity and fare competition. As of Feb. 14, NW was operating 166 DC-9s, according to the Airclaims fleet database, and most had an average age of about 35 years. The aircraft, all owned, have been reliable but are inefficient gas-guzzlers.

Because it plans to ground about 18% of the DC-9 fleet, NW will close one heavy maintenance check line at Minneapolis/St. Paul, eliminating 130 mechanic jobs by May. The decision also will result in the closing of two maintenance lines operated by San Antonio Aerospace.

While the timing is still being worked out, NW warned that about 700-800 additional Minneapolis-based mechanic jobs could be cut.

Aviation Week, a division of The McGraw-Hill Companies.
***the above was cut and pasted from aviation week & news*********

How will this affect recalls? Will it mean more furloughs? Just wondering

Jobear

The 30 pilots that received recall notices will return.

After that, no more furloughs or recalls.

320AV8R

320AV8R said:
The 30 pilots that received recall notices will return.

After that, no more furloughs or recalls.

320AV8R

This is the company line, but if their lips are moving they are lying. Twice over the last three years they said they were done furloughing, then furloughed 100's more. Twice they've printed recall schedules, one would have had me back Dec of 2003 and the next had me back Dec 2004. Neither happened. The last company line was, "we'll recall 200 the first half of the year" which would have had me back on the property. Now this. What's sad is I belived them the first 2 or 3 times and passed on good jobs so I could be there for the recall.

I think by this fall the company will either start recalling again, if they have hammered the mechanics into accepting a new contract and put some of the DC-9's back in service. Or they will furlough again, placing the blame on the mechanics. All I know for sure is nothing they've forcast with regard to furloughs has come to pass.

I think the same crew that's in charge of their gas hedging program is in charge of crew manning.

Jim

Latest resources

Back