NWA or a good regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jasone145

With NWA starting to hire again I'm trying to figure out whether to stay senior at a regional with good schedules, no commuting and decent pay or go for NWA. I know the first year will suck for pay and schedules and the pays not much better the next year. My question is how are the schedules for say a 2-3 year FO? I plan to eventually move to where I'm based, MSP or DTW with NWA. What kind of trips do they have, all 4 days or are there shorter trips available? Any insight especially from those that are there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Although I might agree with the above post I would offer something else in addition. Most of the time when people talking about moving on or staying put, people always talk money. Personally, I think quality of life and how much you like the job is more important. If I had a good wage, good seniority with lots of days off, and not having to commute I would be hard pressed to leave.

I think if you ask some people who've spent many years chasing that "Dream" job they will tell you it wasn't all they thought it'd be.

I personally measure my wealth in time. More time at home with my family is worth more to me than an additional 20 grand a year.

You guys sound like a bunch of disgruntled RJDC members. You can look at the big picture or the small picture. Will wages always stay small? Will you ever gain enough seniority to get a good schedule and maybe fly to places other than Cedar Rapids? If you are 45 years old at your regional and you attend all of your sons baseball games religiously, and your life revolves around that, then maybe you should stay where you are. If you have another business and need the extra time off to run it and it will provide financial security for you in the future, stay where you are at. If you are single or have very small children that won't care if you are busy the next few years, then go to the major. IF you are sick of Cedar Rapids and Shreevport, then go to a Major that can give you some INTL variety eventually. If you don't care and need to watch the football games on the weekends with your fat friends and are a lazy azz anyway, stay where you are at and complain.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yeah, what the General said.

By the way, what exactly is a "good regional?" Such a thing doesn't exist. Your job is just one more RFP away from nonexistence.

You guys sound like a bunch of disgruntled RJDC members. You can look at the big picture or the small picture. Will wages always stay small? Will you ever gain enough seniority to get a good schedule and maybe fly to places other than Cedar Rapids? If you are 45 years old at your regional and you attend all of your sons baseball games religiously, and your life revolves around that, then maybe you should stay where you are. If you have another business and need the extra time off to run it and it will provide financial security for you in the future, stay where you are at. If you are single or have very small children that won't care if you are busy the next few years, then go to the major. IF you are sick of Cedar Rapids and Shreevport, then go to a Major that can give you some INTL variety eventually. If you don't care and need to watch the football games on the weekends with your fat friends and are a lazy azz anyway, stay where you are at and complain.

Bye Bye--General Lee

BRANIFF-BELIEVE IT!!!

I would avoid NWA for now - there are too many uncertainties. If you need to make that jump to the majors and you have the hours and contacts, I would aim for Delta, UPS, Fedex or even SWA if you don't mind working hard on domestic-only routes (to each his own).

If you have to get out of the regional and you want to do something new, look into Netjets. I have no affiliation with Netjets but I hear great things all the time and there are plenty of former ERJ drivers there.

I was looking at the NWA payscale and ran some numbers in excel; it looks like that if I went to NWA now, my career earnings are higher at my current job.
Of course, that doesn't include future pay raises, but I didn't include the 5% a year (for each of the next 4 years) that I'm expecting at my current job either. And I did try to include what retirement exists at each place. (I used airlinepilotcentral, seems accurate).

Of course, at NWA I live 25 minutes from DTW, that's an advantage.. but pay wise... I dunno.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back