• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA managements proposal!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is old news that was talked about a month ago. Typical of any openers in contract negotiations although they did reach even more this time trying to take advantage of the times. From the details I have read so far, nothing close to their demands. Also alows for much more time to negotiate the other issues and not be tied to the short timeline of the 1113c process.

Other Scope changes:

MSA/PCL could operate aircraft of any size to operate/code-share for/with other airlines.

I can understand NWA pilots scope against their own flying but for some reason MSA and PCL aren't allowed to fly for anyone else; they don't even want us flying overflow for UPS in our crappy little saabs. I love how you let American Eagle code share with 70 seaters and such but oh no not us.

Way to keep a brother down. Its hard to have sympathy for you we wouldn't be so screwed if it wasn't for YOU. Maybe we could be doing some United flying in pissy little Saabs at least we would have something.

Good luck boys

PS when you allow newco to help subsidize your pensions and long term debt it will be more Whip sawing for you. This will only succeed in hurting you in the future with even more competitive pressure. And of course you will screw over the junior guys but that is what ALPA legacy MECs do.

Last edited:
YGBSM! NWA sells the regionals fuel at .80 cents a gallon.(They are paying over $2 a gallon) Pays you to 100% load factors, buys and leases you jets below market rates. NWA and all majors are life support systems for the feeders. Now with the 100 seat rates where they are, the feeders will be forceed into lower wages or brought into the mainline. They are now too expensive to operate with the new industry pay rates. Management has "Mission Accomplished" written all over their faces.... Majority of the new Air Traffic Controller classes are former CRJ F/O's. They see no future.

Last edited:
If you have any input into this situation, do not allow the company to start another "internal" airline that has a separate seniority list.

Red skies in the morning...

Hold on....

Diesel-9 said:
YGBSM! NWA sells the regionals fuel at .80 cents a gallon.(They are paying over $2 a gallon) Pays you to 100% load factors, buys and leases you jets below market rates. NWA and all majors are life support systems for the feeders. Now with the 100 seat rates where they are, the feeders will be forceed into lower wages or brought into the mainline. They are now too expensive to operate with the new industry pay rates. Management has "Mission Accomplished" written all over their faces.... Majority of the new Air Traffic Controller classes are former CRJ F/O's. They see no future.

I really love it how a spin can be placed on any story. First of all, yes, we do get subsidized fuel from NW. But keep it all in perspective. Lets just say that on average the Saabs burn 1500-1700 lbs of fuel for the each trip. Obiviously, I'm guessing here due to the fact that we have many segments such as DTW-TOL, MSP-STC that are high frequency but very short trips with typical fuel burn of around 500-600lbs tops. Yeah, the Avro's do suck on fuel. So they are now taking a slow airplane and slowing them down even further to conserve fuel. But overall, our operation is all but some small percentage of the total fuel usage a day.

Topic 2.

Fee per departure. I especially love this one. Always place the spin as it's XJ and 9E's fault for this arrangement. Believe it or not, NW also signed these contracts. We are paid regardless of how many people are in those seats... Beautiful part is that, for the Saab anyways, we only need 4-6 warm bodies in the seats for Mother NW to make money on us. Kind of a benefit of little to no money going to the pilots and an aircraft that drinks nothing for fuel... As for mainline acting as a life support of the regionals... We - XJ and 9E, will close up shop. Good luck getting Ma and Pa from the middle of the skokie to DTW, MEM, and MSP to fill up your 757. Oh, wait, better yet! Just take an A320 for a once a day service into Erie, PA! Problem solved...:rolleyes:

Topic 3.

Pay. Tell you what. I'll just give you my 18K take home that I made this year. I'll go work full time at BestBuy and make more money than I'm making as a professional airline pilot. You know what's the greatest part??? I qualified for subsidized heating this winter!:erm:

But hey, you guys are always right...

UPDATE 1-Northwest pilot union reaches tentative labor deal
Fri Nov 4, 2005 11:20 AM ET
(Recasts, adds Northwest on-time performance)
CHICAGO, Nov 4 (Reuters) - The union representing pilots at Northwest Airlines (NWACQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research) said it reached a tentative deal with the airline on a 24 percent pay cut that would stall the carrier's effort to have a bankruptcy court void the pilots' contract.
The Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) said late on Thursday that the deal, which requires the approval of its members and the bankruptcy court, would reduce pilot costs for the airline by $17.9 million a month.
The concessions in the temporary deal would amount to $214.8 million a year in labor savings for the airline. That amount is 60 percent of the $358 million Northwest is seeking from nearly 5,200 pilots.
Northwest, which is restructuring in bankruptcy, has said it needs a total of $1.4 billion in annual labor savings to survive. The carrier has asked for court permission to cancel the labor contract of any employee group that has not agreed to the concessions it says are required.
The airline said on Wednesday, however, that it would delay a Nov. 16 hearing on the request to cancel contracts until mid-January if the unions representing its pilots, flight attendants and ground workers would agree to temporary concessions equal to 60 percent of the $1.4 billion.
ALPA said a permanent agreement eventually will result in more extensive contract changes. But the additional bargaining time would allow the union to craft a better deal for the pilots.
"In effect, our pilot group would gain additional time for negotiations at no cost -- time which may allow us to reach a more satisfactory longer-term agreement than might otherwise be possible," ALPA said.
In addition to cutting wages by 24 percent, ALPA said the temporary deal would cut some international flying rates, reduce sick pay to 75 percent of regular hourly pay and eliminate domestic crew meals.
The union representing Northwest's flight attendants on Wednesday offered givebacks worth $117 million to the airline in exchange for more time to negotiate a new contract.
A spokesman for the International Association of Machinists, which represents about 14,400 ground workers, said union leaders have yet to produce a temporary concessions package, but that IAM expects Northwest to ask the court on Friday to impose a temporary contract on those workers.
IAM said it expects Northwest to ask for a 19 percent reduction in pay and sick pay of 70 percent of regular wages.
Northwest, which filed for bankruptcy in September, has said it must reduce its labor costs to achieve $2.5 billion in overall yearly savings.
Other carriers in bankruptcy, such as UAL Corp.'s (UALAQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) United Airlines, have used bankruptcy to extract savings from their workers that might have been impossible out of court.
Northwest, along with other major U.S. airlines, has been battered by soaring fuel costs, weak revenue and low-fare competition.
The airline had the weakest on-time performance in September of 20 airlines tracked by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The government data showed that Northwest landed 74.81 percent of its flights on time -- within 15 minutes of scheduled arrival.
September's on-time performance, however, was an improvement over August, when the carrier saw only 67.17 percent of its flights arrive on time. Northwest suffered delays in August related to a dispute with its mechanics over a labor contract. The workers went on strike on August 20 and since have been replaced by new technicians and outside vendors.

OpenSkies said:
Why in the heck would ANYONE want to work there under those workrules?
Because they have NOWHERE ELSE TO GO if they want to keep flying...

Even at 124 an hour, 70 hours a month = $ 8,680 per month = $105k per year with 13-14 days off.

You can't match that anywhere unless they start over at the bottom of UPS or FedEx and it would take 10 years just to break even if they did that (not to mention those are difficult jobs to come by).

Basically, they're stuck and they know it. I'd prefer they fight it harder, but I'm not in their shoes...

Everyone fights their own battles the way they see fit.

Latest resources

Back