• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA managements proposal!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A senior widebody captain making around $150K a year is NOT what I signed up for. How do we get the wages back up to where they used to be? Is there anyone still paying big bucks to fly heavies?

LoweringTheBar said:
A senior widebody captain making around $150K a year is NOT what I signed up for.
Agreed. Haven't felt adequately compensated since early 2001 and it's only getting worse.

How do we get the wages back up to where they used to be?
That's the Six Million Dollar question.

Is there anyone still paying big bucks to fly heavies?
FedEx and UPS which are still profitable.

Lear70 said:
Agreed. Haven't felt adequately compensated since early 2001 and it's only getting worse.

That's the Six Million Dollar question.

FedEx and UPS which are still profitable.

How much longer till someone starts an LCC cargo airline to put them in the dumps like the LCCs did the the pax carriers?

LoweringTheBar said:
A senior widebody captain making around $150K a year is NOT what I signed up for. How do we get the wages back up to where they used to be? Is there anyone still paying big bucks to fly heavies?

It really sucks; I agree. I will have to upgrade to make what I made last year.
Which will take how many years?

The other part that sucks is that with no pension I will have to save more of what I don't make!

Still beats working for a living; but getting close.

Dave B

dbrownie said:
Very close...

How much longer till someone starts an LCC cargo airline to put them in the dumps like the LCCs did the the pax carriers?
They're already trying - Airborne Express is still running cargo ops trying to create a niche market,,, I use them to ship heavy items I buy and sell on eBay, but that's exactly their problem.

FedEx and UPS make money by Dim limits (dimensions). Overnight and 2nd day letters make up the bulk of their profits, and you can fit a hundred of those things at $20 a piece where a passenger sits = $2,000 instead of $200.

Fill up an airplane and it's no wonder they're profitable. And since FedEx flies USPS Priority Mail, they've elliminated their major source of competition - the only people who compete against them as far as rates are concerned.

Can you imagine how difficult it would be to get people to start using a new, unheard of carrier for Overnight and Priority mail items? You'd have to simultaneously open THOUSANDS of locations, advertise like crazy, and undercut prices by large margins all simultaneously.

The startup capital alone and the risk would elliminate most competitors who would even contemplate the idea... thankfully. I'm trying to get on with FedEx, don't want to see one of the last good CAREERS in aviation disappear.

dbrownie said:

Just lower your expectations, that's the ticket. I do believe that I work for a living. If you don't feel that what your doing is a job, your part of the problem. When we can get a group of guys/gals together that think their worth something, then maybe they will draw a line in the sand. Red Tail would do better taking their chances with the judge. Good luck to all those involved.

A T/A has been reach? does that mean the contract on the other page has been excepted, or they will be negotiating on that contract proposal?

Tank Commander said:
A T/A has been reach? does that mean the contract on the other page has been excepted, or they will be negotiating on that contract proposal?

They have reached a TA, but the general membership still has to vote on it. This is just an interim agreement however, so negotiations will continue to reach a final TA or the 1113(c) filing will go forward.

I will have more respect for a Freedom Air pilot than an NWA guy if this gets approved. This is far worse then what Lorenzo pulled. It's time to go down swinging. Yet, NWAALPA missed the boat when the mechanics showed some balls. Why does history always repeat itself (EAL). Who wants the ball?

Latest resources

Back