NWA JS problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sayagain?

Was working a MSP -MDW flight on Saturday the 19th. All the flights that morning were full due to the spring break travelers and all the snow from the day before. A jetBlue pilot requested and was given a ride on my flight to MDW. ATA was finally given the o.k. to use the CASS system earlier in the month, so it was nice to let an offline jumpseater sit in the cockpit jumpseat.
After talking with him, he informs us that we was just denied the jumpseat on a NWA flight to LGA. CA told him "NO" and didn't give him a reason. To the jumpseater's credit, he walked away without saying anything. Well, what can you say? But sure sounds to me that someone was using the jumpseat, once again, as a political tool. Give it a rest.
I do believe that NWA is in the CASS system. The plane pushed back with no one in the jumpseat. Most of these pilots that are giving others a hard time jumpseating probably don't commute themselves.

sayagain?

Yea, well I have heard stories of NWA denying XJ boys a ride back in the day as well. so nothing surprises me. I would be grateful for the ride but don't appreciate any powertrips or political tools either. I tend to remember people like that and mark them in my little black book.

In the two years I flew with NWA before furlough I never saw a captain deny anyone the jumpseat. In fact, on several occasions when we were weight restricted and the jumpseater was being told no by the gate agent; I've seen the captain on the phone to dispatch reworking the numbers so we could get the jumpseat filled.

Jim

I hate to say it, Jimbo, but the only jumpseat denials I have heard of in the past few years have all been attributed to NWA. Apparently, you have a few pilots out there who are routinely doing it.

I have the name and employee number of a MEM DC9 CA who did it to a friend of mine last year. I also had another one of our pilots tell me that he had a female FO tell him that he "was the reason we have pilots furloughed" as the CA she was flying with denied him the jumpseat.

You would think if anyone was hostile towards an Airtran pilot, it would probably be Delta, since that's who we compete with the most, but I have to say that they have all been very professional and courteous to me, with the exception of an FO who took the opportunity to try to sell me some Chart tabs that he makes . . . . which I thought was pretty lame. . . .So I hereby promise to never push my kid's schools' candy bars on my jumpseaters.:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of your furlough. Hope you're flying or have found work.

I don't doubt it happens. But I like to think it's a rare event.

I've never seen it happen. But I have seen captains go to great lengths to get an off-line jump seater on board, many times. You never read about the positive events. After being forced to commute for a few months after 9-11, I would never deny anyone a jumpseat.

Jim, furloughed 03/01/2002

Though I've never gotten denied by NWA, it is, by far, the most time consuming in terms of getting a seat from the crews.

I work for a small 121 regional. One time going to LAS I got to the F/O, who told me the Captain was in a "foul mood". There was already a JS on, and the FO, when I asked him if they were able to take one more said, "We can, but I'm not sure that he will." I gave the CA my Airline ID, Airport ID, FAA Certificate, Medical. After I stood there for a few minutes while he went through his books, he said I wasn't on their list. I then gave him my ALPA card. He kept all of the stuff, sent me up to the gate, and told me to send the agent down. I did, then a few minutes later, the agent was back and he told me to "quick, go grab a seat".

Believe me, I was happy to make the flight. Just thought that it was a bit too much hassle. FWIW, I've had a few similar experiences on NWA. All my other experiences with other airlines have been fine.

No flame plz, just my experience.

Latest resources

Back