• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starvingredtail

TO: All Pilots
DATE: March 15, 2006
RE: Pilot Furloughs and Staffing Since the Company’s September 14th filing for protection under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code the projected number of pilot furloughs has decreased considerably. The combined impact of the forecasted bankruptcy-related level reduction, and the Company’s 1113 work rule proposal was originally estimated to result in approximately 1,000 additional pilot furloughs. Over the past four months, main line level increases, higher attrition (including voluntary furloughs), and other staffing changes have reduced the expected number of involuntary furloughs.
In addition, the potential pilot headcount reduction driven by the March 3rd NWA-ALPA Tentative Agreement is smaller than the Company’s original 1113C work rule proposal. If the TA is ratified, the number of furloughs associated with a larger level of operations, work rule changes, and other staffing factors is expected to be about 350 to 400. Included in this total are 209 voluntary and involuntary furloughs completed since November 2005. Therefore, we are only forecasting 150 to 200 additional furloughs. These furloughs will not begin until at least July 2006 and will continue through the second quarter of 2007. While it is difficult to provide guidance on specific monthly furlough volumes, a large volume of furloughs in any one month is not anticipated.
These numbers represent estimates based on information available at the present time and are subject to revision due to changes in staffing requirements, primarily driven by the level of operations and attrition. Pilot Early Retirement Program (PERP) participation and incremental voluntary furloughs will reduce the projected number of additional involuntary furloughs. Ongoing guidance regarding furlough projections will be outlined in monthly flying bulletins.
I want to express my personal thanks to you for your ongoing commitment to NWA. I recognize that this is a very difficult time, please know we are working hard to achieve a goal we all share: to restructure Northwest into the strong, vital – and profitable – business we know it can be. We will keep you informed of other developments as information becomes available.
Sincerely,
Tim Rainey
Cc: Ken Watts, ALPA
Andrew Massey, ALPA

Comments anyone?

why even have a union

i don't get it, these guys gave away your contract and you still have more guys hitting the streets. What a great union!

I guess they are anticipating furloughs to be a wash with all the guys bailing out and early retirements and the union is stating that they trust that management will not use the 76 seat flying to whipsaw the mainline 100 seat flying. I must be taking crazy pills.

737 Pylt said:
Furloughs suck, there's nothing more to say!

Not always. I was furloughed and life has been much better, since that day.

A furlough forces you to get off your duff and start looking for greener pastures, instead of hanging with a stagnant (sp?) airline.

starvingredtail said:
I guess they are anticipating furloughs to be a wash with all the guys bailing out and early retirements and the union is stating that they trust that management will not use the 76 seat flying to whipsaw the mainline 100 seat flying. I must be taking crazy pills.
That's right Starving, the NWA pilots need to stop drinking the kool-aid.

That's at least ONE trick that regional pilots figured out before their legacy carrier counterparts.

Do you think it's just "coincidence" that NWA management released this "data" right before they schedule the T.A. for ratification vote?

It's such a close vote, they need every person they can get to say "YES", so they throw the junior guys a bone, saying they won't whipsaw you guys with RJ's (that would be a first in a decade) and that there's enough early retirements (who is going to retire with their pension going away? these guys need every dollar they can get to finish paying off the mortgage), and voluntary furloughs (to where?) to keep the junior 1,000 and senior 500 or so retiring in the next 3-5 years from voting NO.

Propaganda people. Put down your copy of Pravda and remember that you NEVER take a salesman's first offer. Northwest is trying to sell you a lemon, don't buy it.

Incidentally, I don't think I have a stake in this fight anymore after my interview yesterday, but that doesn't change what's right and what's wrong.

VOTE NO!

Or vote yes, and continue the dismantling of a once-great airline. At this rate, eventually Northwest isn't going to be anything but long-haul domestic and trans-con with ALL the domestic feed going to RJ's and spun off to be run by separate holding companies while you squable over a bone with the rest of the red-tail regional carriers (more whipsaw), waiting on your mythical call-back.

That's also how I see it, Lear. They throw out a bone and hope to get a few more votes. I trust these guys less then Osama Bin laden.

727RedTails said:
That's also how I see it, Lear. They throw out a bone and hope to get a few more votes. I trust these guys less then Osama Bin laden.

Did you get the email where ALPA says they trust management on this 76 seat issue? I almost fell out of my chair! Any time ALPA battled management over any SCOPE issue, they came away with a black eye. The examples are the AVRO and the 44 seater. And now they ask for trust? If there was an ethical management team ie, Bethume, Kelleher or Neelman I could at least consider trust. But Steenland and Cohen? Alpa must be taking crazy pills. Lear--right on. Put your scrotum to work and vote "NO"
SRT

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back