Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Networ-King said:
Holy cra p......

You Jetbluers must really have the worlds biggest chip on your shoulders if you can't even take a little joke like this. How about a nice cup of STFU for you 7 idiots that can't take a joke. The sarcasm was oooozzzing out of my computer when I read Occam's post and yet even AFTER he told you idiots that it really was sarcasim yet another moron with a huge chip posts a reply. Unfreakingbelievable........

As for you NWA pilots....errrr.. (selfish douc he's) you're getting exactly what you deserve for not supportiing the mechanics and staying united. Steenland is playing you guys like a fiddle...... its just too bad you couldn't merge with mother douc he and take them down with you. But I guess they don't need any help, they seem to have done a fine job at turning that career into a job. Make sure you send that booklet down to Atlanta when your done with it.......:D .

Game onnnnnnn...................

Awesome I just came off a burbank trip today and got some awesome SWAG!!! A Book, A Bunch of used once headsets, A read once people magazine, and a pack of dentyne ice with three pieces left! Cleaning planes is awesome we get the stuff BEFORE it goes into the garbage!! I have another 13:30 credit trip tomorrow I will let you know what i find

linecheck said:
Could NWA management be playing pschological war fare on their employees? Its almost as if they're egging everybody on so that they can blame it on the employees when they decide to do a major transaction.

I was thinking along those lines also. This whole thing doesn't smell right. Steenland and crew are anything but stupid. This is an intentional pouring of salt in the wound no doubt about it.

Maybe they are trying to provoke a confrontation. Obviously it didn't work with ALPA since they capitulated like frightened school girls.

JP4user said:
This is an intentional pouring of salt in the wound no doubt about it..

Kind of like Arpey taking a 23% raise (the exact percentage the pilots took as a cut in '03...) right before openers are exchanged.

Must be in the Airline CEO Handbook. :rolleyes: TC

Razor,

Flying an Airbus doesn't make you anything other than a seat warmer. Your an idiot no matter what you fly. People like you are making this a miserable career. Take your blue collar back to the trailer park.

Semper Fi,

TG

I wonder how much money NWA spent getting this material put together when they could have said google "money saving tips"? Either way, it's is not NWA's position to do this and is insulting.

It looks like they are running out of things to waste money on during this BK. I'll be curious to see what the financials looked like for this last quarter.

As for the whole contract thing, it's easy to tell other people to vote no. Until you walk a mile in their shoes, you may never know what they based their decision on. Everybody that voted, voted as to what they thought was the best decision for themselves and their family. Some people spend too much time thinking about the past and present and put little thought into the future. Most of us think that the current pay scales and work rules suck , but do you think this contract will last forever? I know it's hard to imagine, but there will come a time soon when these contracts become ammendable, and when they do, I think that it will be in a period of profitability for the company. A few years in the aviation business is a blink of the eye.

just another example of the elitist management mentality where they honestly believe only they are entitled to extremely high wages and everyone else should be happy working for peanuts.

TinGoose1 said:
Razor,

Flying an Airbus doesn't make you anything other than a seat warmer. Your an idiot no matter what you fly. People like you are making this a miserable career. Take your blue collar back to the trailer park.

Semper Fi,

TG

Mom?

That you?

I told you I'd make the payments on yer double-wide if you'd stop busting my chops on this Forum! Lemme know when Pa gets out on parole. I'll be warming this seat, jes bein' an idiot.

Yer loving son,

OR

Carl_Spackler said:
I wonder how much money NWA spent getting this material put together when they could have said google "money saving tips"? Either way, it's is not NWA's position to do this and is insulting.

Maybe so, but printing of the booklet sure helped out the Wisconsin economy:

Adding insult to injury

Northwest Airlines gives workers facing layoffs cost-saving tips in booklet by Pewaukee firm

By MARY SCHLANGENSTEIN
Bloomberg News

Posted: Aug. 17, 2006

Northwest Airlines Corp. is apologizing to workers offended by company suggestions on how to save money, including buying jewelry at pawnshops, getting auto parts at junkyards and taking shorter showers.

The list, titled "101 Ways to Save Money," was part of a booklet for employees being laid off as bankrupt Northwest reorganizes. The Eagan, Minn., carrier gave out 60 of the booklets before it began getting complaints, and it cut the list from remaining copies, spokesman Roman Blahoski said Wednesday.

The 165-page booklet was created for Northwest by NEAS, an employee assistance company based in Pewaukee. A spokeswoman for NEAS referred calls to the airline.

On the NEAS Web site, www.neas.com, the company says it started in 1982 with "one office, one phone." Currently, NEAS says it has service sites in all 50 states, Canada, Puerto Rico and many overseas locations. The company says it serves 300 organizations throughout North America, and its clients include Northwest Airlines, CUNA Mutual Group, Pleasant Co. and GMAC Mortgage.

"We are people who truly listen, who genuinely care, who are available at all times, and who know how to enhance the lives of employees and support the productivity and profitability of employers," the company Web site says.

Northwest, the fifth-largest U.S. airline, is reducing pay and benefits and shedding jobs as it trims labor spending by $1.4 billion annually to exit bankruptcy as soon as 2007. The job cuts include 1,000 machinists as well as members of other unions.

"This is disgraceful that somebody at Northwest Airlines would send this out to a long-term employee facing having no job telling them to do certain things that are very degrading," Robert Roach Jr., general vice president of transportation for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, said in an interview.

"We sincerely apologize to our employees for any offense this list caused them," said Crystal Knotek, senior vice president for ground operations. "We have taken appropriate action with our managers and vendors to ensure that all materials are properly reviewed in the future."

Part of the booklet dealt with coping with job loss, options for job transfers within Northwest and relocation advice, Blahoski said in an interview.

Suggestions on the money-saving idea list included giving homemade cards and gifts, asking doctors for prescription-drug samples, borrowing a dress for "a big night out" and giving children hand-me-down toys and clothes. "Don't be shy about pulling something you like out of the trash," the list said.

"A lot of these people are hoping to come back to work someday at Northwest Airlines," Roach said. "When they see this, it's very demoralizing.

This is a reflection of management ability at Northwest." The union is sending a letter of protest to Chief Executive Officer Doug Steenland, he said.

"First they took our money. Then they took our contract," the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA said on its Web site. "Now the geniuses that run Northwest Airlines are insulting not only our intelligence, but our dignity as well."

Northwest has asked a federal bankruptcy judge to block the attendants' union from striking over the imposition of $195 million in annual wage and benefit cuts in a new contract. A judge let the carrier set the terms after attendants rejected two agreements negotiated with Northwest.

The attendants union has said it will begin a series of unannounced, random work stoppages as soon as Aug. 25.

Rick Barrett of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

From the Aug. 17, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

YourPilotFriend said:
Here they all are folks.

1. Set your thermostat to 64 and turn it down to 60
at night.
2. Use the phone book instead of directory
assistance.
3. Use coupons at the grocery store.
4. Carpool.
5. Ask for generic prescriptions
instead of brand name.
6. Do your own nails.
7. Rent out a room or
garage.
8. Replace 100 watt bulbs
with 60 watt.
9. Make long distance
calls at night and on
weekends, instead of
mid-day, mid-week.
10. Throw pocket change in a jar
and take it to the bank when it’s
full.
11. Always grocery shop with a list.
12. Buy spare parts for your car at the junkyard.
13. Go to museums on free days.
14. Quit smoking.
15. Get hand-me-down clothes and toys for your
kids from family and friends.
16. Meet friends for coffee instead of dinner.
17. Request to get interest on the security deposit
for your apartment.
18. Take a shorter shower.
19. Write letters instead of calling.
20. Brown bag your lunch.
21. Make your own baby food.
22. Use public transportation.
23. Drop duplicate medical insurance.
24. Buy old furniture at yard sales and refinish it
yourself.
25. Apply for scholarships and financial aid.
26. Exercise for free - walk, jog, bike, or get
exercise videos from the library.
27. Form a baby-sitting cooperative with friends and
neighbors.
28. Buy your clothes off season.
29. Go to a matinee instead of an evening show.
30. Share housing with a friend or family member.
31. Hang clothes out to dry.
32. Do not use your calling card.
33. Volunteer two hours a month for reduced cost
food through the Share Program (800-499-
2506).
34. Change the oil in your car yourself
regularly.
35. Get pre-approval from your medical
insurance company before
undergoing any procedures or tests.
36. Buy “no frills” vitamins.
37. Take a date for a walk along the
beach or in the woods.
38. Make cards and gifts for friends.
39. Shop in thrift stores.
40. Have the water company do an audit so you
are not charged sewage fees for water used
in your garden.
41. Refinance your mortgage.
42. Grocery shop on double coupon days.
43. Trade down your car for a less expensive, lower
maintenance one.
44. Convert your cash value life insurance to term.
45. Shop around for eyeglasses.
46. Don’t be shy about pulling something you like
out of the trash.
47. Recycle.
48. Move to a less expensive place to live.
49. Use low flush toilets or water saving devices in
the tank.
50. Drop unneeded telephone services like call
forwarding or caller ID.
51. Buy fruits and vegetables in season.
52. Avoid using your ATM card at machines that
charge a fee.
53. Bicycle to work.
54. Shop around for auto insurance discounts for
multiple drivers, seniors, good driving records, etc.
55. Ask your doctor for samples of prescriptions.
56. Borrow a dress for a big night out, or go to a
101 Ways
To Save
Money
consignment shop.
57. When you buy a home, negotiate the sales
price and closing costs.
58. Turn the hot water heater down and wrap it with
insulation.
59. Never grocery shop hungry.
60. If you qualify, file for Earned Income Credit on
your taxes.
61. Shop around for prescriptions including mail
order companies (Medi-Mail 800-331-1458,
Action Mail Order Drugs 800-452-1976, and
AARP 800-456-2277).
62. If you pay for childcare, make use of the
dependent care tax credit or your employer’s
dependent care flexible spending
account.
63. Buy, sell, and trade clothes at consignment
shops.
64. Shop around for the lowest banking fees.
65. Caulk windows and doors.
66. Iron your own shirts.
67. Plan your weekly food menu before shopping.
68. Buy a good used car instead of a new model car.
69. Purchase all of your insurance from the same
company to get a discount.
70. Cut your cable television down to basic.
71. Go to an optometrist for routine vision tests or to
change an eyeglass prescription.
72. Buy pre-owned toys and children’s books at
garage sales.
73. Have potluck dinners with friends and family
instead of going out.
74. Use the library for books, video tapes, and music.
75. Inspect clothing carefully before purchasing it.
76. Don’t use your dishwasher dry cycle; open the
door and let them air dry all night.
77. At the grocery store, comparison shop by looking
at the unit price.
78. Make your own coffee.
79. Use old newspapers for cat litter.
80. Shop at discount clothing stores.
81. Skip annual full mouth X-rays unless there is a
problem; the ADA recommends
X-rays every 3 years.
82. Water your garden at night or early in the
morning.
83. Shop around for long distance rates.
84. Hand wash instead of dry cleaning.
85. Grow your own vegetables and herbs.
86. Shop around for auto financing.
87. Donate time instead of money to religious
organizations and charities.
88. If you are leaving a room for more than five
minutes, turn off the light.
89. Shop at auctions or pawn shops for jewelry and
antiques.
90. Keep your car properly tuned.
91. Request lower interest rates from your creditors.
92. Trade in old books, records, and CDs at book
and record exchanges.
93. Pay bills the day they arrive; many credit card
companies charge interest based on your
average daily balance.
94. Buy software at computer fairs.
95. Search the internet for freebies.
96. Compost to make your own fertilizer.
97. If your car has very little value, you probably only
need liability insurance.
98. Cut the kids hair yourself
99. Increase your insurance deductible.
100. Buy in bulk food warehouses.
101. If your income is low, contact utility companies
about reduced rates.

102. Share a condom with a friend

Lolikoka said:
102. Share a condom with a friend

I like it. One criticism... don't you need a *friend in order to use a condom in the first place? And thus, by definition "sharing" it with them. I think it should be worded as
102. Re-use condoms.

*Friend can be substituted with any one (or more) of the following:
Professional
Farm animal / Pets
2nd Cousin
Anything inflatable
Any produce with a soft, fleshy center
Socks

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back