Nwa Dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xcr600

Is it true NWA is phasing out the 9? What are they going to fill the routes with?
I have heard people talking about Mesaba or Pinnacle CRJs doing the work. Any insight on this?

Last edited:
I sure hope not as well. Those things are paid for. And reading the annual report for NWAC, the picture ain't pretty, but vividly drawn.

Maybe it's due in part to a support issue? Boeing may be applying pressure to phase them out by slowing down parts/engineering support. When I worked at Evergreen they were less then helpful regarding DC-9 tech data and spares.

I'm all about keepin' the 9's flyin... But the airline is bleeding to death with fuel costs. And anyone can tell ya that the "9" ain't easy on gas.

There's also an AD note thats coming due to replace defective thermo-accoustic insulation thats more expensive than its worth.

xcr600 said:
Is it true NWA is phasing out the 9? What are they going to fill the routes with?
I have heard people talking about Mesaba or Pinnacle CRJs doing the work. Any insight on this?

You never know in this crazy world, but I doubt it. The use of over-44 seat RJs is tied to the size of the narrowbody fleet at NWA. If they were to park all of the -9s, they would have to park every RJ over 44 seats also, AVROs excluded (they are under a different agreement).

Unless, of course, NWA was going to replace the -9s with some other type of narrowbody aircraft. Word around the airport is that NWA ALPA and NWA managament have come to an agreement for NW70. I'm not sure of the details.

Nu

-9 reduction

To answer your question all of the above answers are correct to some degree, but it is a little complicated.

A couple of years ago the plan was to keep all of the -9 until they came upon the heavy C checks and they were going to be systematically pulled out of the system. Unfortunately, there has not been a viable replacement for the airplane except for the E-170/190s which is another story altogether. However, in the last year or so the AD for the airplane came out that really put a dent in the pocketbook so MGMT was trying to figure out what to do. Luckily not all of the aircraft were coming up on the AD anytime in the near future so the fleet as a whole has several years left in them. Recently the mechanics have been in negotiations and that has really sparked a war between AMFA and NWA.

The rumor of the DC9 grounding is probably coming from the fact that NWA has decided to remove 30 aircraft from service later this year. There were many reasons for this as mentioned above, but the primary one was to put pressure on the mechanics. Because of the removal from service of so many aircraft they can now layoff over 600 mechs. Not 1 pilot or FA was furloughed due to this. So as you can see it was just great timing and opportunity on the part of NWA mgmt. No other significant retirements are expected in the near future although there is a plan.

Now this is where it gets really sticky. The obvious replacement for the DC9s are the E-Jets. NWA ALPA continues to negotiate the rates for the SJs. NWA wants to give them to PCL, but NWA ALPA knows if that happens then there will be hundreds of furloughs at mainline along with even more downgrades. To date NO agreement has been reached. Hopefully we will see a resolution to this in the near future..

Hope that helps..

Redtailer said:
NWA wants to give them to PCL

I doubt that. We're in contract negotiations right now at Pinnacle. XJ would probably get any new EMB-Jets if mainline gives them up.

I doubt that. We're in contract negotiations right now at Pinnacle. XJ would probably get any new EMB-Jets if mainline gives them up.

...and the pilot group will cave for the chance to fly them. We did it when we were EXA to get the CRJs--do you think it wouldn't happen again?

Latest resources

Back