• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA answers SWA at MSP -- adds Chicago flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought it funny a couple years ago when I was flying into chicago O'hare that the gate agent said that NWA was selling one of its gates to United in a gate swapping deal. They were not happy and added that its like NWA to get rid of a gate that is used all the time and pretty full on most flights. Now they might want that gate to add more flights. Thats thinking ahead for you. Then again, NWA was thinking ahead 4 years ago when they began the process of cutting salaries, jobs, and getting ready to make the current deal with Delta. I still think they knew about the merger years ago.

just my 2c

I thought it funny a couple years ago when I was flying into chicago O'hare that the gate agent said that NWA was selling one of its gates to United in a gate swapping deal. They were not happy and added that its like NWA to get rid of a gate that is used all the time and pretty full on most flights. Now they might want that gate to add more flights. Thats thinking ahead for you. Then again, NWA was thinking ahead 4 years ago when they began the process of cutting salaries, jobs, and getting ready to make the current deal with Delta. I still think they knew about the merger years ago.

just my 2c

And UAL is doing the same thing now.....get ready.

This was all predictable. SWA knew that NWA would defend its turf. So how long is this war going to last? The result: lower fares and higher losses for both.

Only problem is, NWA isn't going to be around in their present form when we start flights there in March. The NEW DELTA will be who we are competing with, and we compete with them quite well already in most markets we go head to head on.

Speaking of "the new Delta" - how you guys getting along? Must be going fairly smoothly. Unlike that other "merger" of UsWest.

Gup

Speaking of "the new Delta" - how you guys getting along? Must be going fairly smoothly. Unlike that other "merger" of UsWest.

Gup

Seniority integration hearings with the 3 arbitrators are going on now, and have been interesting to read (the transcripts). The one good thing that we did that USAir did NOT do was get a joint contract first. That will help soften the blow to whichever side or if both sides get "the shaft."

Bye Bye--General Lee

[FONT=&quot]In an aggressive response to Southwest Airlines' decision to begin service [/FONT][FONT=&quot]from the Twin Cities, Northwest Airlines said Wednesday it would expand its [/FONT][FONT=&quot]flights to Chicago and match Southwest's low fares.[/FONT]

Does Northwest really want to get involved in this? It's worked in the past, but times are changing. Northwest will now be part of a huge network spanning the globe with Delta. They are taking on a competitor that has a huge domestic presence. Global recession is now looking imminent in the year going forward. Delta/Northwest's Int'l loads are going to be anemic IMHO. That's lots of heavy jets crossing big ponds with low load factors. Not a recipe for making money. On the other hand you have Southwest, making money with/without fuel hedging, across a huge domestic route network at discount fares. Who do you think could outlast who??? Northwest, under new Delta management may start to rethink the wisdom of protecting turf, in favor of survival...the deeper of the two issues.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back