• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA ALPA 70 seat plan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To all NWA drivers.... Please do what it takes to keep 70+ seaters on-property. I hope this will help slow the race to the bottom and keep the contract carriers at bay.

cargoflyr69 said:
To all NWA drivers.... Please do what it takes to keep 70+ seaters on-property. I hope this will help slow the race to the bottom and keep the contract carriers at bay.

Cargoflyr,
The USAirways "drivers" did exactly this and it LOWERED the bar further. Should mainline pilots underbid the regionals to gain the flying?

InclusiveScope said:
Cargoflyr,
The USAirways "drivers" did exactly this and it LOWERED the bar further. Should mainline pilots underbid the regionals to gain the flying?
Why not? For years the regionals have underbid the majors to gain the flying.

michael707767 said:
Why not? For years the regionals have underbid the majors to gain the flying.
Does that mean you think the process should extend to the regionals bidding for all of your flying, since you are prepared to underbid for ours?

Do you really believe that a full scale bidding war for each others flying will keep you in the driver''s seat?

Northwest never gave up their 70 seat flying or deemed it to be "undesirable".

On the contrary they have fought long and hard to keep the DC9-10's on the property. The DC9-10's capacity is 78 passengers (64 in coach, 14 in first).

Why should they not fight tooth and nail to keep what flying they have on the property?

Should they yield 70-seat flying simply because it has been done at some other airlines?

Count me in among the group that believes that if NWA were to get another 70 seat product it would simply be to REPLACE the DC9-10, and the Northwest pilots should have first crack at that product since they already appear to have payrates in place to operate an aircraft with similar capacity.

quote:
"Anyone have any details on the the new NWA ALPA 70 seat jet plan? "

Hate to ruin your hunt for "rjdc propaganda," but it says that the current proposal is NOT to achieve any "flow-down" to the affiliate carriers, or jet for jobs program. Says, once again, that 70 seat flying would be done by NWA seniority list pilots.

FurloughedAgain said:
Northwest never gave up their 70 seat flying or deemed it to be "undesirable".

On the contrary they have fought long and hard to keep the DC9-10's on the property. The DC9-10's capacity is 78 passengers (64 in coach, 14 in first).

Why should they not fight tooth and nail to keep what flying they have on the property?

Should they yield 70-seat flying simply because it has been done at some other airlines?

Count me in among the group that believes that if NWA were to get another 70 seat product it would simply be to REPLACE the DC9-10, and the Northwest pilots should have first crack at that product since they already appear to have payrates in place to operate an aircraft with similar capacity.
What you say is all true. However, do you really expect the company to pay NW pilots on the same scale as their current DC-9 rates, should the company decide to operate a CR7? If you do or rather if the NW pilots do there's a lot of dreaming going on.

I don't think the NW pilots should yield their flying, but if they want to operate CR7's at the mainline they will have to do what U pilots did at MAA, i.e., underbid the current "regional" operators by a substantial margin.

As an example, if you put a CR7 into the mainline infrastructure with pay rates like CMR or even ARW the addidional costs of the mainline operation will render the aircraft economically useless.

Remember, most of those baby -9's at NWA are fully amortized. New CR7's or E-170s will carry a lot of debt service.

My guess is the NW pilots will either give up their current rates and contractual goodies or they will give up the idea of RJ's. It will be interersting to watch.

surplus1 said:
Does that mean you think the process should extend to the regionals bidding for all of your flying, since you are prepared to underbid for ours?

Do you really believe that a full scale bidding war for each others flying will keep you in the driver''s seat?

No I don't. And I don't think anyone should be trying to underbid anyone else. However, I think it somewhat hypocritical for regional guys to be complaining about the majors thinking of trying to capture back some flying by bidding less, when all along the only reason any flying was ever outsourced is because you were willing to do it for less.

michael707767 said:
No I don't. And I don't think anyone should be trying to underbid anyone else. However, I think it somewhat hypocritical for regional guys to be complaining about the majors thinking of trying to capture back some flying by bidding less, when all along the only reason any flying was ever outsourced is because you were willing to do it for less.
BINGO!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back