Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyupder

Hmmmm....
Hey NWA folks, just had a question. I know that CAL doesn't allow hub to hub flying with their regional partners and I was wondering why now the schedule shows a 9E CRJ from MSP-DTW starting in Sept for the last flight out? Also I noticed Pinnacle is doing a bunch of MSP-MEM flights.

Is there a clause that allows them to do hub to hub? Just wondering...

There has been a DTW-MEM flight for some time now.... Not sure about your question though.

I wouldn't ride on one of those things from MSP to Duluth. In my opinion, the 50 seat RJ has been one of the worst aircraft ever introduced into commercial aviation. Good to know that many are going away soon. For those of you who have only flown the CRJ, don't worry it only gets better. You're going to like Boeing aircraft. Check it out!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMaR66OZyrw

I remember there being some talk about hub to hub flying but I was told that restriction was either never there or it was deleted years ago.

The other topic of debate was whether or not 9E could overfly a hub. I know NWA ALPA wasn't very fond of that idea.

9E operates only the off peak flights like the last flight from MSP to DTW that has no business being an airbus. 9E operates the flights that are hub to hub that don't have connectivity at MEM, like the 6am from MEM-MSP or the DTW-MEM flight that gets in after the last flights leave MEM. This is what RJs are designed for... flights that can't be filled by mainline.

Hub-hub flying for regionals was included in the beastly concessions after BK.

I remember the first time I flew MEM-MSP in the CRJ... when the last time I had been in between those cities was on a DC-10-40. It just felt wrong...

If I remember right, PCL was operating between the hubs on select flights when they had 44 seats in some planes. The scope didn't apply to things less than 50 seats between the hubs. Then the 50 seat limit was released, the planes reconverted and PCL still flew between the hubs.

Peanuckle - what you're ignoring is that the DC10s used to fly in and out of MEM during the big pushes. There is no way those 10s would be filled if there was no connectivity on either end. It makes perfect sense for PCL to fly the flights that only need 50 seats. They don't fly the peak ones, but the super off peak flights. It does seem odd at first glance, but just take a look which flights PCL is operating. The major flights are still mainline.

As for the 10pm employee shuttle on the Airbus. That flight saved me several times when commuting between MSP and DTW. But it was always empty and had mostly nonrevs. We all know NWA isn't in business to ferry us to and from work... as nice as that would be!

Latest resources

Back