NWA Airbus / DC9 collision tapes released

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gto2002 said:
Is there no guage or warning letting you know when your losing fluid or is it you have it or you don't? Just wondering.

Yes, there's a quantity and pressure guage for each system and a low pressure light for each as well. They knew that they had lost their right hydraulic system. The problem was when they shut down the left engine--the only source of pressure for the only reamining system--during the taxi in.

You guys are buying into the government hype. There was no "airplane" that collided with that Airbus, it was a missile. There's indisputable video evidence.

Stealthh21 said:
Wow, that was very interesting. At least they made a point that there was no way for the Captain to stop the aircraft. Mechanical failer, and not crew error.

What was the backup of last resort on the thing..
Use to fly it.. but can't remember?

Accumulator or an air bottle for the brakes?

LJ-ABX said:
Two independent hydraulic systems each with it's own brake accumulator.

So they would have had to lose all hyd qty in both systems to lose accumulator brakes?

Ouch.

8vATE said:
So they would have had to lose all hyd qty in both systems to lose accumulator brakes?

The accumulators are protected by check valves so even after losing the fuild both both systems you'd still have both accumulators for the brakes.

What they had was a loss of all fluid in the right system (leak in the rudder shutoff value, I think) then they shut down the left engine which powered the only pump that was pressurizing the left system. When the accululator pressure was gone so were the brakes.

I follow now..

He shut down the engine/eng hyd pump and then depleted the one remaining accumulator brakes...

Dang...

I guess he went in to his flow pattern by habit..

Just to chime in,

The normal procedure at NWA dc9 world is to shut down the right engine before stopping at the gate so that the right side baggage doors can be opened safely, especially the one in front of the right intake.

wmudriver said:
Anyone hear how the crew came out of it? I heard that the crew in the -9 got a ton of fuel dumped on them.

The Capt was seriouslly injured and trapped in his seat, the FO was able to get out unassisted.

Not sure if the Capt is back flying, but I hear the FO is.

The aircraft is still at MSP near the back hangers up on blocks. Its amazing to see the damage to the cockpit. The overhead panel and structure was pushed down to the window.

Latest resources

Back