NWA 747-200 FE Workload...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clippyrip,

The B747-200 FE training is not difficult. 15 years ago it was busy since they used to perform the Captain's, First Officer's and their own preflight check, everyones pay sheet, and the fuel score. But now computerized flight planning is so accurate that the fuel score is no longer needed, the Litten INSs are very accurate and you only do your own preflight. The course is rather long for a North American carrier (and short for an Asian one) and I would suggest paying close attention to the International operations portions. Intl' Ground School at NWA is lacking in quality, depth and ICAO phraseology discipline and it shows overseas. They assume everyone has experience in Intl' ops and the instructors who teach it, have little or no time outside of the U.S. I got more from reading on my own, than from the NWA schoolhouse. I would suggest Global Navigation for Pilots by De Remer/McLean. It will give you a better "big picture" perspective.

Flows, Systems and SOP's are not difficult to figure out. NWA instructors are mostly patient people and will help you in any way they can to get you through the program.

If ANC is your home, you will love it. ANC base has nice trips and once you get the routine down, it will actually get a bit boring. FE's do prepare the meals in the 1960's ovens. They turn them on during preflight and the food is ready to eat by cruise (2hrs later). Whine Lover is correct when he said you get to pick the best parts of the crew meal since you are preparing them. You will also preflight any HAZMAT in the cargo area with a special sheet that displays segregations of various dangerous items (that training isn't half bad). Some of the cargo that NWA carries can get interesting too.

Good luck and have a great time seeing the world.

A couple more questions...

What do the trips look like? Length?
Is an ANC commute to the lower 48 realistic as a NWA new hire FE?

Thanks.

Big mix.

Most fall in the 4-7 day range...but there are a lot over 6-days long.

There is one goofy 6-day trip that lays-over in KIX for 108-hours. ("Hello? Suicide hot line?")

There are a number of 4-day trips with long ORD layovers (48-52 hours).

Reserve is a tough commute, but NWA is "commuter friendly" (comes from 80% of us being commuters), so there is an abundance of commuter gouge.

Commuting to Block in ANC is fairly easy from SEA, but gets harder the farther you get from there.

For those NWA new-hire in class now, what is the class break-down? how is that ANC FE position assigned? What if nobody in the whole class wants it, will the junior guy in class be assigned that slot?

they just announced they are parking another freighter, so don't be surprised if you don't get the ANC bid. JFYI

Your busier than a seven holed whore in jail till you get tank to engine then you can drool all over yourself till top of descent.

Last edited:
they just announced they are parking another freighter, so don't be surprised if you don't get the ANC bid. JFYI

Do they have any plans to get newer ones or are they shrinking the freight side? I thought the cargo flying was expanding with additional flights into China and all...

Last edited:
Do they have any plans to get newer ones or are they shrinking the freight side? I thought the cargo flying was expanding with additional flights into China and all...

"There's no money in freight"....

- Illustriuous NWA Executive

Nu

After 8 months, you'll contemplate suicide from the boredom. After a year, you'll be grizzled.

After two years, you'll be as pissed off at the business as the rest of us... ;)

Seriously, I'd do it simply because it's becoming something of a rarity. You'll have street cred...in a sick sort of way. TC

Latest resources

Back