NWA 747-200 FE Workload...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

clippyrip

What are the duties of the SO in the 74-200? Is the training tough? It looks as though I will get the FE position at NWA and I'm curious what the job will be like. I'm from ANC so the base part is no surprise but any thing else would be appreciated.

Can you work a coffee machine? ;-)

No, the FEs do more than that. They also wake you up for descent!

The FE on the -200 is a pretty busy guy until you get in the air. A good FE makes the flight easy. A bad one makes the flight like pulling teeth. I've flown with mostly professional FE's with A&P licenses and most know their job, aircraft systems, and the QRH inside and out.

Best job in the world? . . . an FO on the 747. Not much to do except fly half the legs and answer some checklists.

Last edited:
Like Draginass said, you're pretty busy from the time you show up at the airplane until the flaps are retracted. "Deadheading between preflights." is a pretty apt description.

One a more serious note, the FE is the onboard systems expert, and is expected to know which checklist to run if the $hit hits the fan. Whenever a caution light illuminates or something doesn't work right, the two guys up front will turn around and look at you.

That's when you earn your pay!

It is your job to eat all the crew meals, along with the above mentioned duties.

Make sure you take the best part of all the crew meals and make yourself a Gourmet offering.

Preflighting and subsequent re-disbursal of crew meal items is paramount.

Make sure you get ALL the shrimp or steak, for example.

Let the rest of them eat chicken....YOU, after all, are the guy standing in the rain doing a preflight in Guangzhao, or in the snow in Detroit.

Right?

YKW

Heyas,

Back in the day, it used to be called "dozing for dollars". Now post-BQ, it's just dozing.

Nu

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back