Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bunks

:confused:
I've heard from a bud at SWA that future classes beyond July 15's is based on "future aircraft deliveries, we may have a few more classes this year."

Rumor wagon....where are ya?

Bunks

SWA Classes

Hey guys, here's a regurgitation of a post I made on May 8. I think it is still accurate - about 4 more classes (including the 15 Jul class) to man the scheduled 2002 aircraft deliveries.

The Future
Well let's see where we stand.

SWA is sked for a net gain of 17 jets this year (19 new jets - 2 200 series retirements). We've been told they man 11 pilots per jet. That's 187 new pilots they need for the new jets.

We've also been told they will have 50 retirements this year - which they will have to replace.

187 + 50 = 237 pilots... That's real close to the 250 new pilots Dumbo told us they would need in 02 (heard that at my interview in Jan).

How many have they hired so far in 02?

Jan 3 classes of 20 = 60
Feb 2 classes of 20 =40
Mar 2 classes of 20 =40
Apr 1 class of 16 = 16
Total so far hired = 156

Plus I think one class in Feb had 26 guys, so add another 6 and you get 162 hired so far.

250 - 162 = 88 more guys they need for this year (based on the 17 jet net gain sked so far and the 50 retirements)

That's four new classes - minimum to meet their manning.

Now, if they order any new planes, well 11 guys per plane.

Of course all of the above is assuming 11 pilots per jet and 50 retirements for the year.

Now, when they sked those classes is another issue. If we knew the airplane delivery sked I guess we could calculate that.

Maybe this is way off base, but at least it helped pass 20 minutes for me!

What we poolies need is for SWA to announce new aircraft deliveries (over and above the 19 announced so far).

Hang in there guys!

;) Thanks for the info Inhot--tryin' to figure out if/when a class may roll in.

Tough tryin' to plan for the future and it seems rumor control/verification has become a new hobby.

B

Classes?

Ya got that right Bunks!

I just wish SWA would tell us where we stand in the pool. It would make planning your life a little easier.

I was big time disappointed in April when they put the brakes on the new hire training.

For a while after that I felt as though I was just waiting to start the rest of life. In order to save my sanity (hope I wasn't too late) I've tried to put SWA out of my mind. I'd rather be surprised when I get the call for a class instead of being disappointed when it doesn't come.

Does that make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy (and humble) to be in the pool. However the reality of being unemployed since Sept 12 has given me somewhat of a skewed perspective. Just recently I finally got myself another job while I'm waiting for SWA, but it wasn't easy!

Just can't wait for that first night's sleep as an employee of Southwest!

OK, time to stop that day dreamin and get back to reality - but keep the dream alive!

u got that right!

InHot - AMEN brother!!

I have been down that road myself since Nov... currently working a job I had hoped to have not taken, however, here I am!

You hit the nail on the head, trying to put SWA out of mind only works for a couple of days, at best. Since I use SWA to commute to/from my current job, I am on board 4-8 legs a month... it kills me to sit there KNOWING that I have made the cut, got lucky, however you look at it!? yet I am not up in the pointy end running checklists and "owning" a senority number!!!!!

One thing that is great about this thread is being able to get this out of our system from time to time. Before anybody takes the chance to flame me..... I absolutely KNOW how lucky I am to be in this position, the road was 20+ years long with massive dues paid on many occassions - I have never had to so patient for so long.... at least I have a good job and continue flying while waiting for the EFC time to expire!!!!

Have a great day all - looking forward to seeing some oof you in class @ DAL (SOON!?).....

Regards - KB

Hey Tredding! Totally agree w/your sentiments.
I too have been here since Nov, except only managed a non-flying job, and that was a temporary thing. Spent way too long as Mr Mom. While I appreciate the opportunity to expand my menu repertoire and break new records in dusting/washing/ironing I am more than ready to hand over that primary task for a new one.
Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
Keep the faith. If we only go by attrition, the pool will be empty by approx 2008

:rolleyes:

motivation?

Gee pegasus.... thanks?:D

You make me feel gulity for loggin' LJ55 time instead of matching my cooking.com menus up with my excel shopping lists!?!?

I have not ironed a shirt since WOC-D.... sure would hate to have to do it for my overachieving attorney/corproate wife.... "yea babe, whadda think about that awesome pleat I starched in your blouse??!":p

Life IS good!!

You know - this might me one of those times when we will look back on it with "fond" memories.... yea... "remember back in '02, before we exterminated the terrorists.... waitin' around for SWA to call us up for our class date, yea man - boy - those were the GOOD OL' days..." - then I woke up!!!!!!!

Nice sharing thoughts with you guys and girls - hang in there everyone... our day WILL come!!!

Have a great 4th Pegasus.... Sempre Fi, GOD Bless America (regardless of the 9th Circut), watch er' 6.... and see ya in DAL, soon!

KB

Latest resources

Back