Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

phlyer

Got Beer?
Does anyone know what the requirements are to be an NTSB accident investigator. I have heard that you only need 500 hrs and a commercial to get started, but that was a while ago. Do you need a degree? Anybody out there an investigator or have some experience doing that kind of thing?

What needs to happen is for the current Chairwoman to authoriize funds for additonal investigators, and that isn't likely to happen until a new Chair is in place. There have been no external openings for Air Safety Investigators (other than interns) for quite some time.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for getting on with the NTSB any time soon. I know of several experienced investigators waiting for positions, but they just won't approve any money to hire.

However, if you are a student, you can petition your college or university for an internship. If you are exceptional in that position, then they might put you in line for an opening at one of the field offices, should one arise. From there, you can work your way into one of the specialties in DC if you are so inclined.

Last edited:
You actually don't even need the 500 hrs but I think flx is right in saying not to get your hopes up. With the budget cuts Bush wants I don't think you'll see any money freed up for hiring anytime soon. Anyway, here is a link with all the jobs descriptions and requirements:

http://www.ntsb.gov/Vacancies/descriptions/

Hope it helps!

Yeah. The "Student Intern" opening is basically continuous. It has been up for years.

Latest resources

Back