NTSB Wants Changes to Learjet 60 Thrust Levers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LJ45

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The NTSB on Friday issued six recommendations stemming from the Sept. 19, 2008 overrun crash of a Learjet 60. In that accident, the Learjet 60’s pilots attempted to abort the high-speed takeoff after a tire burst, according to the Safety Board. The Learjet hit an embankment and a post-crash fire ensued, killing two crewmembers and two passengers; two remaining passengers survived but suffered severe burns. In its recommendations to the FAA, the NTSB wrote that it wants Bombardier to change the design of the Learjet 60 thrust lever system in future-manufactured airplanes so that the reverse lever positions in the cockpit match the positions of the thrust reverser mechanisms at the engines when the thrust reversers stow, as well as require operators to retrofit their Learjet 60s with these same changes. Additionally, the NTSB is asking for improved aural or visual cues on future-manufactured and in-service Learjet 60s that would allow pilots to recognize an inadvertent thrust reverser stowage. The Board also recommends that all Learjet 60 pilots receive training on recognizing an inadvertent thrust reverser stowage. The sixth recommendation calls for an evaluation of the Hawker 1000 thrust reverser controls for similar potential thrust reverser failure modes and then the implementation of any necessary changes.[/FONT]

How about a 7th recommendation free of charge.. New Larger size tires and brakes on any Learjet over 15,000 pounds......

8th recommendation is also free... put the 45 wing and gear on it !

a new AD may be coming out on the 60 that the tire pressure be checked and documented within 96 clock hours of any flight.

a new AD may be coming out on the 60 that the tire pressure be checked and documented within 96 clock hours of any flight.

It is already in the temporary AFM change that came out a while back. So as of now the 96hr check is mandatory AD or not. It should also be noted that an FAA LOI addressed to bombardier was recently published clarifying the fact the tire pressures have to be checked by an A&P for the aircraft under 135. Pilot-checked tire pressures are only legal under 91.

Last edited:
S.R- Thanks, I did not know it was mandatory already. I still think the 60 is a great airplane ! After all it is a LEAR ! I just see those tires as a bit of a weak point .

I hope they get it right with the LR-85. well see

Balou

I still think the 60 is a great airplane ! After all it is a LEAR ! I just see those tires as a bit of a weak point .

I hope they get it right with the LR-85. well see

I love the 60. Every airplane has weak points, some are remedied with an AD or SB and some aren't, but as long as the pilot operates the aircraft with those in mind it is a safe airplane. The 60 is the result of lots of modifications over the years. The beauty of the 85 is it's a clean-sheet design with a new type certificate. Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have no excuse for engineering such deficiencies this time around. The brake mod helps considerably with the brake energy problem (in piece of mind though, not the numbers) and you'll get many many more landings per set which helps justify them to the boss, but you're still stuck with those little 210psi tires at 140+kts speeds.

The TR deal is a crock. I've got a lot of time in the 60 and I havent had a problem with knowing if they are stowed or not.

The TR deal is a crock. I've got a lot of time in the 60 and I havent had a problem with knowing if they are stowed or not.

Have you had one or two tires blow out then had the TR's stow while trying to abort? or hit a dear on landing and have the TR's stow while trying to stop?

A couple of accidents have had this as a factor, I think it is a bad design of the controller and needs changing.

Sorry Guys,
I should have been clearer. The gear for the Lr 55 and Lr 60 are the 2 main culprits I was referring to earlier. With the bigger and beafier gear of the 45 on the 55/60 you'd have a hell of an airplane even better.

Latest resources

Back