• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NTSB To Determine The Probable Cause Of Pinnacle 3701

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not that the engines were rapidly cooled it's that they were taken way over temperature. I have shut down these engines hundreds of times in flight during flight training and never had a problem doing relights. Ive even slowed the aircraft down to get the core to 0% and shown how long it takes to get them up to speed to relight, but still never a problem.

May God rest their soles and that of their families, but the cause of this started when they were switching seats.

It's not that the engines were rapidly cooled it's that they were taken way over temperature.

And again with the lack of facts. Read the reports. Only one engine suffered heat damage, and it was determined that it should still have been able to start, just not produce max rated thrust. The other engine never over-temped. Whatever you think of the crew, the engines still should have cranked back up.

And they never should has been put in a position to have to be restarted either.Lots of blame to go around and I am sure glad after 30 yrs as an ALPA member you ALPA guys are still around to defend the inexcusable.

The training program at PCL also should not go unscathed. These guys had no idea what they were doing was so incredibly dangerous.

then they really were idiots. even the controller thought it was weird. those red flags coming up from the bottom isn't a good thing to see in a climb or cruise.

pride got the best of these two. their deaths are not in vain as (hopefully) a lot more attention is paid to high altitude aerodynamics at both the majors (who have had their faire share of stalls in cruise/climb) and the regionals.

There is no doubt that the pilots will get the lions share of the blame for this unneccesary tradgedy but the fact that the aircraft could not perform something it is certified to do (in flight engine relights either widmilling or APU assisted) will not go unnoticed and nor should it.

If they had followed the checklist / QRH then they would have more than likely started the engines.

It was a stupid accident that should never have happened in the first place but did through a string of errors and operating outside of certified procedures.

The QRH was followed perfectly for an APU assisted relight. The engines still wouldn't turn.

Do we really need to debate this again?

I watched the NTSB hearings (was on reserve in the crashpad).

The crew should take 99% the blame for causing the accident. Contributing factors (all debatable) are the engine not re-starting, the poor training department at 9E, and the "safety culture" that existed there.

It's too bad they died, but when you do something THAT stupid in an airplane, what do you expect?

The QRH was followed perfectly for an APU assisted relight. The engines still wouldn't turn.

CRJ drivers and those really "in the know" about this accident correct me if I am wrong, but:

The engines would not have relit during a properly executed APU start because the cores were already cooked. This was potentially due to the crew trying to windmill start the motors without enough airspeed (and thus N2 rotation) earlier in the accident chain.

Ya the guys performed like true pro pilots, at some point you are going to step off of the union platform and admit they made huge mistakes. I've read the report too, the QRH was NOT followed correctly. Quit blaming the engines and place resposibility where it is do.

Latest resources

Back