• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ntsb Notes First Officer's Failure....in 2003 Fedex Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I really feel for the Captain in that deal. It's one thing to critique a weak F/O for being behind the airplane on an approach, or starting a descent too late. At least there, you have some time to correct their mistake. But not flaring the d**n airplane? You really have no way of knowing they're not going to do it until they haven't done it. By then, it's too late.

Flaring. Pretty basic stuff for eveybody except carrier pilots, and even they can be taught.

I hope the Captain comes out of this with his career intact.

As for the crew bags, "no harm, no foul." I'm sure these guys assessed the situation and did what they thought was reasonable under the circumstances. You don't need a procedure in your FOM to tell people to run away from FIRE...they're usually pretty good at figuring that out for themselves.

Guess its hard to give adequate xwind correction in heels. Equal opportunity employment at its finest! Another plane down, yet FedEx maintains its position as #5 top equal opportunity employer of the Fortune 500.

seems to me M/F three strikes and you are definitely out. Bent airplane or not.

Capt did get a shady deal though. Every critique would certaintly loom of harassment as a response. Likely contributed to a greater benefit of the doubt than she should have received.

The object of a checkride is to demonstrate an obvious master of command of the aircraft without any doubt as to the outcome of every maneuver. had the Capt taken the controls and saved the aircraft. He would have (hindsight) heroically saved the day. AND likely been subject himself and the company to harassment by the applicant of the failed checkride. You cannot take positive control of an aircraft during any maneuver of a checkride without following-up with a pinkslip. For the FO it would likely resultedin walking papers and a huge mess. Political Correctness screwed the capt, the airline, the training department and the airframe.

100-1/2

but is the f/o still flying?

The best answer I can get from guys I fly with, is that she has "left" the company. I have no idea if she was actually fired, or "given" the option to quit, or what. She might even still be here, no one seems to know.

She used to have this utterly stupid personal website about her career exploits, including comments like "My husband at America West gets jealous of me because my plane is bigger than his..." No where did she post the # of PC checks she failed here, or at her previous commuter. Someone on Flightinfo found it and posted the link. The thread got about 1000 responses and she took down her website.

If anyone has her name, I can look it up on the senoirty list and see if shes still listed.

DetoXJ said:

Anybody ever have those nights when you drank too much? You know, when you try to lay down but get the spins. So you go to bathroom to talk to ralph on the big white telephone but cant seem to make any headway and ease your situation.

Well, I think I have a cure for the problem. I'm just going to click on the above link and start reading. I'm pretty sure that a technicolor yawn will ensue within seconds and cure my malady and I'll be fast asleep.

Thanks for posting the link.

Rumor is she was fired, but sued the company since she was considered Non-qual when she did that last flight. She said since she was NOQ, she was not responsible for the accident. I heard, but do not know, that she won the lawsuit and might be back soon.

Keep in mind, we have now had 3 MD-10's have gear collapses (EWR, hers, and the one last week). While I am not defending her, there may be more to this story than the simple pilot error explanation. I realize that this is the official conclusion on the accident, but things could change.

Latest resources

Back