NTSB MARKS 10th ANNIVERSARY OF CRASH OF TWA 800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
180ToTheMarker said:
Thanks, never been much of a speller...hell, I can barely read. Anyway, would such a missile leave much evidence?

yes.

it would leave its paint/imprint on the point of impact, the metal would be bent in and not out on one side and reverse on the other, there would be exhaust residue as well. i am sure there are lots of other tells i'm missing.

CitationLover said:
yes.

it would leave its paint/imprint on the point of impact, the metal would be bent in and not out on one side and reverse on the other, there would be exhaust residue as well. i am sure there are lots of other tells i'm missing.

And NONE of which were present on the wreckage of TWA 800.

The guy who got a sample of what showed evidence of ordinance residue was put in jail for unauthorized access to NTSB evidence. The rear seat back covers had residue on them and he sent the evidence to a lab. The way that case was handled invites people to question how they came up with that ridiculous scenario of the zoom climb after the supposed center fuel tank explosion.

bubbers44 said:
The guy who got a sample of what showed evidence of ordinance residue was put in jail for unauthorized access to NTSB evidence. The rear seat back covers had residue on them and he sent the evidence to a lab. The way that case was handled invites people to question how they came up with that ridiculous scenario of the zoom climb after the supposed center fuel tank explosion.

Do your homework. I always get a kick out of how you conspiracy theorists think something happened when there is no evidence to support it. Granted, the case was mishandled from the getgo, but that doens't mean it was a coverup. They did believe it was a terrorist attack when it first happened and then when the investigation got into full swing they realized what really happened.

If you don't think it's that likely then do some research on other commercial aircraft that have had similiar incidents. The military also has had several episodes of dangerous vapors in fuel tanks.

Didn't an Iranian air force 747 blow up in the 70's and the cause was either undetermined or attributed to a lightning strike by a fuel vent?

Were all the fuel pumps from TWA 800 recovered?

I went through the 4 day ALPA accident investigation course in Herndon right after this happened.

The instructor was a TWA guy who had been on one year leave (paid by the insurance company) to work on the wreckage.

He said that a missile, even a kinetic or dummy warhead missile, would leave a series of aligned holes in whatever structure it hit. Think of a .22 bullet hitting a line of mailboxes. There would be damage that could be lined up like a laser. This evidence was not found.

Remember that TWA lost close to 50 employees on 800, working and non-rev. NOBODY was more motivated to find the cause than the TWA investigators.

The explosives residue was leftover from a dog training event, as I recall.

If you guys are trolling for conspiracies, I'd look at the Egyptair crash. On the previous leg, the pitch trim caused the autopilot to click off TWICE. Then it gets out over the ocean and crashes. Obviously a suicidal pilot. Remember, he said, "Allah Ahkbar!" as the plane nosed over. What would YOU say if presented with an uncommanded pitchover over the ocean?

The explosives residue was leftover from a dog training event, as I recall.
Huck, you are correct sir! There was a show on TWA 800 on The National Geographic Channel about two months ago. The ignition source is claimed to be from a short circuting wire in the vicinity of the center fuel tank. There were tests run on other 747s with the same fuel quanity that 800 had, same outside air temp, resulted in the same high fuel temp readings. The only thing the other 747s were missing was an ignition source... which 800 had. The bomb theory was squashed, just like everyone was stating... no bomb residue found indicating an explosion. The only bomb residue was found from the bomb residue that was left behind from the "terrorist training/ bomb sniffing training event, that occured on a previous week or two before."

Rock said:
The only people who believe it was shot down by a missile are people who don't know anything about missiles. Missiles tend to leave a lot of evidence on things they hit. Like thousands of holes and pieces of warhead fragments. Boeing, TWA and ALPA, all agreed that there was no evidence of either a bomb or missile exploding in or near the aircraft.

Yes, perhaps the same evidence that the FBI consfiscated and would not release to the NTSB or permit the NTSB to examine. After it was determined that it was an accident and not terrorism, why didn't the FBI release the evidence?

I like how Larry King on CNN corrected John Kerry after he referenced TWA800 as being a terrorist attack in a post 9-11 interview. Dislike Kerry you may, but he was (and still is I presume) on the Senate Intelligence Committee. Why would he make a faux paux like that?

Well. A politician making a "faux paux". That should be all the evidence we need to seal this deal all the way. Who needs hundreds of "eyewitness" accounts when we have a politician faux paux?

The invesitgative process sure has come a long way since I went to training.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back