Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shutout390

Hey all,

I applied for the NROTC scholarship. If I am awarded the scholarship I would like to attend college and once graduated fly for the Navy. One problem...eyesight. I know the Navy has requirements for laser surgery and fighter jets because of the high speed, any possibility however you could fly other planes (cargo, etc.) after undergoing surgery??

Thanks for any info, or anyone who wants to scare me into sitting behind a desk all day and drinking coffee, feel free to add your two cents.

Thanks again,

Joe

No LASIK

Buddy of mine is a Navy Opthamologist and has said that the Navy's policy is OK on PRK but no go for Lasik. His explanation was along the lines of the sliced eye not really healing the incision completely. He even went on to say people who sky dive after Lasik are risking the flap pealing back.

At this point I was about to lose my lunch and just took away the answer that the Navy says no to Lasik.

Good Luck
D

PVR

When I did a search on PVR, it seemed to be a surgery to correct a problem with the eye, not to bring it to 20/20. This was only one site but it said something along the lines of the surgery actually leaving your eye in bad shape for a couple weeks to over a month and sometimes leaving near vision permanently impaired. I'll look up on it more because this can be a very good thing.

Oh yea, I got a new question: Can anyone out there give me an idea of what kind of grades the Navy is looking for from kids coming out of college for pilot spots. I am looking at Embry-Riddle, even though I hear your major really doesnt matter, I'm thinking it can't hurt. (It absolutely has nothing to do with its location on Daytona Beach)

Thanks again,

Joe

I think you might be thinking of PRK, instead of PVR. A buddy of mine (who is applying for Navy OCS) just had PRK surgery performed and is more than happy with the results. The key is to find a ophthalmologist who has practiced in either the Navy or Air Force and is familiar with the standards. Do not get LASIK, though, as it isn't accepted by either branch. But like Patmack said, definitely check out www.airwarriors.com.

Good Luck

PRK - DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!(and get jets)

Shutout,

FYI, I got the PRK surgery and you must correct to 20/40 uncorrected after the surgery.

After you get the waiver at NOMI in Pensacola (at the start of flgith school), you are eligible for any airframe in the Navy (assuming you have the grades in primary-jets,helos, P-3s, E2/C2s- for it.) I know this- I had PRK, and am about to start jet(advanced) training very soon.

Also, the biggest hurdle to get a pilot slot in ROTC is the ASTB test-not a big deal. Its actually EASIER to get a pilot slot from a ROTC unit than from the academy. I would say as long as you keep your GPA at or above a 3.0, you should be in good shape.
Good luck.

Let me know if you have any other questions. However wait till junor year to get the surgery.

Its actually EASIER to get a pilot slot from a ROTC unit than from the academy.

:eek:

Well I guess that explains why about 90% of those who wanted a pilot slot, and were PQ got one.

Merlin,

This thread is about the Navy, not the AF.

I can vouch for it being easier to get a pilot slot from ROTC. All the academy guys with my grades when I went through got NFO slots.

T1

PRK

If I am in the NROTC will the Navy provide the PRK, or atleast give me a reduced cost?

Also, if i go to ERAU im thinkin Aero Science-Military. That looks good right??

Oh yea, NFO and PQ.....dont know the military lingo, can I get some help here?

Thanks again,

Joe C.

Last edited:
Dont bother with a useless degree

Shutout,

If you do NROTC, get the surgery junior year(they say wait till about 21 to get it). Also, the CO of the unit must approve and you must pay for it. (it costed me 3000 and I have NO regrets). Best 3 grand I have ever spent.

Also, don't get an aviation degree. The Navy will teach you everything you need to know to become a navy pilot. It won't matter if you have that in Navy flight school. I have a friend who went to ERAU with an aviation degree and he ALMOST got attrited (failed) out of primary flight training (with 400 flight hours under his belt.)

Best bet would be get a degree in economics or business or something non aviation. I wouldnt go to ERAU. Try to get into a school that has a ROTC unit AND will pay for your room and board if you get the ROTC scholarship. My school (univ of rochester) paid full scholarship and full room board and Food!!! I made money going to school!! I believe Tulane does this as well.

Whatever you do, research those things and be smart - ask questions.

Latest resources

Back