Nrotc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ERAU

I was thinkin ERAU primarily because it would help me or atleast make it easier when I went to the Navy. But it sounds different for your freind. The guys above said its easy plus you get to fly throughout college. Not to mention its location on Daytona Beach. So are you saying not to go to ERAU because degrees dont matter or because it will hurt me in the long run?

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Shutout...

I know you are looking at the Navy, but I felt a couple cents worth wouldn't hurt. I went through an aviation-program college before I went through Air Force pilot training and I did OK. Not great, but good enough. What I wanted to tell you is that it all depends on you. It depends on how well you can forget some of whatever you've learned before and learn what they want you to learn. FAST. That's the key. We had four guys in my class get fighters - one had never flown a plane before (except for Flight Screening immediately before UPT) and the others had only minimal time, i.e none had come from aviation-related schools. We had one guy who was a CFI and had flown Part 135 turboprops all during college and he struggled in UPT at times. I later ran into one of the guys (who had smoked through UPT, BTW) who had gotten an F-15. It was about 4 years after UPT. I was at United for some sim work when I saw him, and he was about to bust out of 727 training because he couldn't pass his sim ride. The systems were giving him fits! Bottom line is, prior flight experience is really no predictor of performance at UPT.

I would agree with Skywiz to diversify your education. If something happens in your career you'll need something else to make a living. An aviation degree won't really help you in pilot training no matter which service you're in, but IF, heaven forbid, you ever need to do something else, an aviation degree will be nearly worthless. I did it because I just couldn't wait four more years to learn to fly. It doesn't mean it was smart though.

For you right now, it boils down to doing what you think you need to do to reach your goal. No one here but you can know what that is. We can just give you our experiences. I actually left the engineering program at CU Boulder because by year 2 I knew my grades would not be good enough to get a pilot slot out of the ROTC program I was in there. That's when I got into an aviation program and joined the Air Guard. Not only did it help me pay for school, but while enlisted there I made the contacts necessary to get a pilot slot when I graduated. That route worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Definitely do SOME flying before you go though. Maybe even do some instrument work, flying absolutely as fast as possible. You'll learn to talk on the radio, and get the general instrument concepts down, but that's about all you'll need to know beforehand, and that's about all the knowledge that will transfer in any case.

Best wishes!

education

Shoutout,

I didn't say it would hurt you in the long run. I recommend getting a degree in something other than aviation so that you have another degree in something more maketable incase of the worst case scenario - aviation doesn't work out. Or you get medically disqualified. Plus you are more well rounded.

I definitely recommend getting in extra flight time before training. I had quite abit before I had training and it helped me tremendously. I guess the point I am making is that you can go to ERAU and fly but realize you can probably do the same at another more reputable college where you can take lessons at a nearby airport for cheaper! I brought up the "research about room and board" for the reason that you can end up saving thousands of dollars! In my 4 years at my college I ended up saving (8000 x 4 yrs) = 32,000 dollars because my school offered room and board grants to ROTC scholarship people. If you think about it... all that money you are not spending on rent and food can go towards taking flying lessons at a civilian field.... see what I am talking about?

When I was applying to schools, I was totally unaware that some schools give you R&B grants. I guess I was lucky - kinda fell in my lap without me really knowing about it.

I can only tell you about my experiences and I can tell you that it has worked out extremely well.

Thanks

Thanks alot, this all really help me as I figure out what I am going to do in life.

You mentioned U of R, do you mean NY? I live in that region and didnt even look at it (didnt know they offered it). MCC and RIT i know for sure do not.

Joe,

Check your personal messages.

Yes, U of R in Rochester offers ROTC and they are one of those schools that offers free room / board, food + tuition.

Latest resources

Back