• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Now United may want to buy a refinery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember a few Great Airlines... Industry Leaders for decades.

Innovative beyond belief. Diversified into different areas like nobody's business.

Showed others how it was done.

Came up with ideas others thought foolish or impossible.

History makers.

One of them had a great a building in New York ....Although, it's since been renamed.

The other once owned Hotels.

Thinking outside of the Box is great.

But, whatever happened to making sure the Box you were in wasn't a House of Cards ?

I heard Southwest was looking at buying a Peanut Processing facility....

NOT.

:)

Grasping at straws is no way to run a business. Running a business is the best way to run a business.

" Orville Redenbacher ... was a master at popping popcorn. His saying was, "Do one thing and do it well ".

JMHO,

Whiner

Last edited:
Delta buys a refinery to help fuel its gas guzzlers, United is buying A/C that guzzle less and may buy a refinery to help fuel them...... I like United's approach better.

Delta buys a refinery to help fuel its gas guzzlers, United is buying A/C that guzzle less and may buy a refinery to help fuel them...... I like United's approach better.

Sure you do. Ever look at the Contracts? DAL pays their employees well, while UAL tells pilots they have "an Agreement in Principle" for their contract, but it's nowhere in sight. Over two years and no joint contract. Nowhere close to an SLI. Which management position do you have there? Get a new contract that pays your employees a descent wage increase, and then you too will be looking for a refinery.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I remember a few Great Airlines... Industry Leaders for decades.

Innovative beyond belief. Diversified into different areas like nobody's business.

Showed others how it was done.

Came up with ideas others thought foolish or impossible.

History makers.

One of them had a great a building in New York ....Although, it's since been renamed.

The other once owned Hotels.

Thinking outside of the Box is great.

But, whatever happened to making sure the Box you were in wasn't a House of Cards ?

I heard Southwest was looking at buying a Peanut Processing facility....

NOT.

:)

Grasping at straws is no way to run a business. Running a business is the best way to run a business.

" Orville Redenbacher ... was a master at popping popcorn. His saying was, "Do one thing and do it well ".

JMHO,

Whiner

Your opinion is based off of airline people running the refinery. What if it were oil people hired by the airline people? What if your largest cost was something you could reduce while competitors could not? Would you use that? What if you are just grasping for straws because someone actually was thinking out of the box and you couldn't think of it first? You just go with the flow, not thinking of other ways to solve problems like your biggest costs. You probably would take it out on the employees, right? It's their fault you can't lower costs to pay for higher oil costs? Bingo.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Think that is what every though when Glen Tilton was hired....

Maybe Tilton was mad he missed the oil market takeoff, along with his bonuses at Texaco? Why didn't he suggest buying a refinery for cheap and taking out the middleman for lower Jet A prices? I guess up to $300 million per year in potential savings wasn't enough for him?

Your example has an oil guy running an airline. I am talking about airline people hiring oil people to run an oil subsidiary. No cross over.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Maybe Tilton was mad he missed the oil market takeoff, along with his bonuses at Texaco? Why didn't he suggest buying a refinery for cheap and taking out the middleman for lower Jet A prices?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Maybe he knew it was a stupid idea?

The $300 million annual savings Delta projects are VERY conservative. They will likely be $500-$700 annual savings or more. Plus, they bought a refinery for what, $180 mil plus upgrades that was for sale for over a Billion $$$ less than a decade ago. No air line will find a deal like that now. History will show this was a great move on R.A.'s part.

That's ok. We'll still have 80% of our domestic fuel covered...and revenue off the rest. How's that JCBA going for your work groups?

Latest resources

Back