Now that was pretty cool!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not so cool, but...

Seeing and hearing... nothing, save for a couple combat aircraft and their tankers. Operated 135 into New York, morning of Sept 13, 2001. And the view of Washington and New York that day? Never forget, folks.

Watching the sunrise over the Sahara Desert, across an unbelievably huge, endless expanse of sand and rock. No roads or any other sign of life on Earth for 1000 miles in any direction.

Watching the sunset over the Amazon rainforest the following night. Nothing but an unbroken blanket of green stretching as far as the eye can see for several hours of flight.

Very long list, but I still remember landing at BOS 1976 after an all nighter. It was the morning of July 4th and the harbor was filled with tall ships gathered to celibrate our 200th birthday. Very cool sight as the sun came up.
At the other end of the spectrum was being one of the last 3 aircraft to land at DCA before it was closed because Palm 90 had just crashed. Than sitting next to a white faced guy in the commuter lounge watching the live coverage of the recue operation. Turns out he had been a flight attendant on the inbound leg of that flight and scheduling let him off early because they had an extra FA and he was just going to deadhead back home to the mid atlantic area after they landed in FL.

Landing a Hawker at Aspen with my dad on the ramp watching just prior to him retiring in the plane I currently fly.

the sublime ,serene joy of a sunrise observed after an all nighter with home port just an hour away.

- At a big east coast airport, watching, as I sat left seat in a Boeing, a handful of guys with guns drawn running to and surrounding my airplane. They were postal inspectors and (I didn't even know this) there was mail in the aft cargo compartment and the mafia was stealing credit cards. I got down to the ramp and saw two guys spread-eagled on the ground. Weird call to dispatch. "Yes, I'm serious."

- Flying to DCA in a Cessna 310 charter as "captain" for some chumps that ended up running out on their bill. Did the cool-ass visual up the river, went to Signature and when taxiing out was told to slot in behind the 757. I had no idea which airplane among the crowd of airliners was a 757 (funny now). The tower was incredulous, "You don't SEE the 757?"

- Watching all of the cargo smoke detector lights go off, one after the next on departure.

- Watching the windshield on a Cessna 404 slowly ice over.

Please put this back in the majors fourm...

Hey mods, please put this back in the majors forum. It was hot there and has promptly died here. I posted it there to begin with because that's a hot forum with a lot of guys who've been around the block a few times.

Thanks

-realizing its all on me on my first solo
-taking dad up
-3 152 formation flight 5ft above a lake
-buzzin around west texas looking for oil leaks
-inadvertently gettin into some bad storms making it out and thankin god i was still alive
-standing up the levers on a jet for the first time
-all the many amazing sunsets and sunrises
-being in the biggest and best frats in the world
-someone askin what i did that day after they got done telling me about their office politics and thinking i don't want to make you feel bad.
-and making myself sick on taco palenque for the first time

Being in the pattern at Ramona with an OV-10, an S-2 and a P-51. That was my lucky day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back