• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Now, If congress would step up for the Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac where quasi government "businesses" the leadership being chosen more for political reasons than mortgage experience. During the housing bubble politcal pressure ecouraged instituions to relax lending standards and loan money to people who would not normally qualify. This was done to encourage home ownership, a worthy goal. Fannie and Freddie are involved in about half the mortgages in this country making them ideal instruments to further this goal. We all know how this turned out in the end. As is normally the case when government interferes with markets, the law of unintended consequenses is a biotch.
As a side note, two former directors of these companies who collected a combined total of around $175 million is compensation during their tenures are now economic advisors for a certain presidential candidate whom this past week claimed that our entire economic system has failed. Thats irony.

There are big differences between the two mortgage giants and any airline...

Between Fannie, Freddie, Bear Stearns, the PBGC and now AIG our government very likely could have its credit and bond rating cut...and if there are many more bank failures and "bailouts" it could possibly put our government into bankruptcy.

Like it's not heading in that direction already?

..that's what I was saying...

It's "our" tax dollars saving them.....
Let them tank.
I'm tired of saving everyone with my my tax money and governments misuse of funds.....
Some accountability is needed and overdue.

That's what I'm saying.........

No, the airlines should not get bailouts...they got them once after sept. 11 2001. No more....let the industry filter out the weak and let the one's that can survive...well survive. The bailouts are not what this industry needs...I hate to say it but we need less airlines...this is not a mine versus yours....it is a fact.

I am againist Bailouts....These business should have tanked, Sorry but the Economy is already in the crapper...

I was agreeing with the bonuses, Any ceo who does shady operations and runs the business into the ground should get nothing but Jail Time. How many airlines were raped and Pilage by these "outstanding" managers and were given bonuses for Saving the company at the Employees and Stock Holders Expense.

I agree that the airlines shouldn't be bailed out, It is time to let nature take its course, I've been through it in the late 80's, Early 90's and then again after 9/11, It's time to let those that can make it, make it and those that can't, not. Sorry but that's the facts!

KBB

Latest resources

Back