Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
That's what it says on my student certificate. Sooner or later, I'll be taking the tower light-gun test. Today I had a lesson, and my instructor had the tower flash a red, white, and green light signal at the airplane. The first surprise was how barley visible the lights were!!! I can understand at night, but do people really see these things in broad daylight, 2000' away up in the pattern???

The next issue was how hard it was do distinguish the white from the green. Is there a filter in the tower cab or something??? I'm thinking I'll have my instructor do this little test again, so I can get a handle on what white and green looks like before the actual test.

UnAnswerd said:
The first surprise was how barley visible the lights were!!! I can understand at night, but do people really see these things in broad daylight, 2000' away up in the pattern???

No, they don't. Not usually. I've seen aircraft circle for 15 minutes on downwind a mile and a half away and never see the light. (as it were...) You might see it on short final if the tower isn't too far away. At night, you should be able to see it a couple miles away.

Did the tower have the shades up? They're usually green. Give them a call and let them know you're taking a color test. Tell them any help would be appreciated. Like maybe a morse "G" on 121.9? :)

Vector4fun said:
No, they don't. Not usually. I've seen aircraft circle for 15 minutes on downwind a mile and a half away and never see the light. (as it were...) You might see it on short final if the tower isn't too far away.

No kidding. I was under the impression that these were super high-intenisty lights, "beamed" at you, and would light up the cockpit!!! I didn't know I would have to squint at these little tiny lights!!!

Call up and see if you can get a tour of the tower and I bet they would show you. All they are is a hand held light gun ;)

Latest resources

Back