• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not so fast AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like Airtran cleared one hurdle. I have a question? Does this mean Airtran will take all employees?

AirTran clears jobs hurdle

October 30, 2004

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

AirTran Airways has agreed to retain 3,200 Chicago-based employees when it acquires bankrupt ATA Airlines' local assets, Mayor Daley said Friday, paving the way for City Hall to approve the transfer of ATA's 14 gates at Midway Airport.

Daley said he received the job guarantees he was looking for -- but not in writing -- during a City Hall meeting Thursday with George Mikelsons, chairman, president and CEO of ATA Holding Corp., and Mikelsons' counterpart at AirTran.

"This will help Chicago," Daley said. "We're not gonna lose any jobs. I talked to both of them about that. We're gaining the same strength we had before. [AirTran] will do more international flights so, in the long run, it'll be a win situation both for Midway and the employees."

Earlier this week, ATA filed for bankruptcy and announced it was selling most of its Chicago operations to Orlando-based AirTran for $87.6 million.

The sale must be approved by a federal bankruptcy judge in Indianapolis, where ATA is headquartered, and by the city of Chicago, which runs Midway Airport. ATA is Midway's second-largest carrier behind flagship Southwest Airlines.

On the day after the bankruptcy filing, Daley established two pre-conditions for approving the gate transfer: That ATA's 3,200 Chicago employees would keep their jobs with AirTran and that the takeover airline would at least consider building the $100 million training center that ATA had planned near Midway.

Now that he's received those assurances, the mayor said he's prepared to approve the gate hand-over, and he's confident that Midway Airport, still basking in the glow of a $927 million reconstruction project, won't miss a beat.

Even if Chicago survives ATA's demise, Daley warned of more airline bankruptcy filings unless the federal government does something to assist an industry reeling from skyrocketing fuel prices. He suggested dipping into strategic petroleum reserves.

"This industry was created by America," the mayor said. "We can't lose this industry. This industry is too important for our country to give away."

No matter what happens, I'm glad that the airlines talking to the court are SWA, AAI and AWA. I feel like the ATA culture is much closer to these airlines than any other airline.

I have never seen a 10 percenter yet from any of these airlines. All I ask from any of you is just do the right thing, treat others like you'd want to be treated. I and everyone I know at ATA are not interested in anything but feeding our families and being part of a unified team.

One thing I have learned from my 26 years in this business is no matter how bullet proof you might think you are, you always need friends and someday your turn in the barrel is just around the corner.

Hmmmm. Keeping 3200 employees in Chicago or keeping the same 3200 employees currently working at ATA in MDW ?? There seem to be some subtle nuances here that have me feeling a bit skeptical, especially since they wouldn't put it in writing! But no matter, GM and JL have the mayor snowed.

Jobs will be lost in this deal. If ATA couldn't make it work, what the heck makes you think it's going to be profitable top keep on 3200 employees. There MUST be a reduction in capacity, and with that comes a reduction in force.

I suspect that a fair amount of people will be kept on, but there will be a RIF in Chicago, no doubt about it.

Mach 80 said: "3200 ATA employees in Chicago? Seems like a lot."

About 6 or 7 hundred pilots, about 11 or 12 hunder flight attendants, plus mechanics, rampers, customer service agents, etc...

I believe it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back