Not distributing apps

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearCrj

I am an ASA CL-65 F/O. Really want to get on with EJA. Been with ASA for about 9 months and it is just not what I thought it would be. No schedule, low pay and long upgrade after Sept. 11. I was previously a Learjet captain for a 135 operator and actually had a better schedule flying on demand than I have flying scheduled ops now. I have also decided I like the variety associated with charter/fractional type flying. No going to the same **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** airport (ATL) 3 times a day!

Anyway, enough rambling. Faxed a resume in last week and got the automated response. Said no applications were being distributed at this time.

Anyone have any idea how long this will last and how much weight do company recommendations carry?
Got a couple of friends that are going to walk my stuff in with some recommendation letters. Also whats the outlook for hiring in 2003, 2004 etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have mixed emotions about this reply!

You could have applied to EJA 9 months ago, but chose ASA over EJA. Now you want help correcting your perceived mistake.

I do believe that we as pilots learn from our mistakes!

With your posted time, you should be competitive. At the same time, you blew the opportunity to apply for a fractional and want into the big game after the fact. You might be a great guy and a great pilot, BUT you come to us after accepting a job at another company. What does that say about reliability and commitment? You didn't do the research beforehand and now you want us to hire you, then type-rate you, then train you with what commitment? If your friends walk in your paperwork, it will help; AND I hope we are hiring the best pilots available, not just the high time or connected applicants.

We are going to be hiring about a 100 pilots a month, to gain a net of about 60-70 pilots a month. That includes offers of employment and several pilots who do not make it through training. This should continue for the next seven years! We have purchased and are receiving 80-90 new aircraft per year for the next seven years. That is with no significant retirements! Also, that is the minimum aircraft and does not include the options we could exercise!

If you have some friends who will put their reputations on the line, it will make a difference! If you have some pilots who say "Joe" is great and should be hired, you will wait with everyone else. This comes from the recruitment department as they questioned my recommendation. Did I believe he was the "one" or was I writing a letter to help out a fellow pilot who I ran into?

Basically, apply and see what happens! Maybe you get lucky and move ahead or maybe it will be a long time at ASA. At least the pilots at ASA are generally great folks to work with!

Slim177,

Thanks for your input. You are right. I should have applied to EJA 9 months ago. Like many others, I got into this business thinking I wanted to fly the Big Iron for the majors. After flying at ASA I and comparing it to my last job as a charter pilot, I have decided that fractional flying would suit me better. I miss the personal interaction with the customers and flying to different places all the time. Things have also changed alot after Sept. 11. Who knows when I will upgrade or when the majors will start hiring again. My friends love it there and after looking at the pros and cons, I choose EJA. If I get hired by EJA, I am there to stay. I've got a good work history, spent four years at my last job and have left all on good terms.

The decision between Fracs vs 121 has to be your own. I just had to learn the hard way.

Once again, thanks for your input

LearCrj

Slim177 said:
You might be a great guy and a great pilot, BUT you come to us after accepting a job at another company. What does that say about reliability and commitment? You didn't do the research beforehand and now you want us to hire you, then type-rate you, then train you with what commitment

Slim,

Why are you busting this guy's balls? All he wants to do is get a job with a different company. You make the best decision you can at the time with the info you have. He thought he wanted to do the airline thing, has since decided ASA isn't the best place for him, and has decided to move elsewhere. That doesn't necessarily mean he isn't committed and/or reliable. Don't you think that if he does get hired at EJA he'll be sticking around for a while?

Just a guess but it sounds like slim couldn't get hired by the majors after he seperated from the USAF. There seems to be some bitterness there.

We are going to be hiring about a 100 pilots a month, to gain a net of about 60-70 pilots a month. That includes offers of employment and several pilots who do not make it through training.

Does this mean that 30-40% of new hires do not make it through training?

For those of you that have been hired, how long after they received your application did you get invited to the interview? Has anyone received an app in the last month?

F/O:

Thanks man, I couldn't have said it any better. I simply want to work for another company. I never turned EJA down. In fact I never even applied to EJA until just recently. I took the job that was offered at the time based on my career goals at the time. To say that I chose one over the other is wrong. I was never offered a job at EJA.

LearCrj

One more thought,

I've noticed that alot of things people write here get taken out of context.

Isn't this the reason we all have flying jobs in the first place. So people can meet face to face and communicate more effectively, without a loss of the true meaning of one's words.

Just some food for thought.

Hey Slim.

Slim,

With that attitude, shouldn't you be working for Delta? I mean really, after reading your response, I thought FlyDeltasJets must have written it. I guess this guy's crystal ball doesn't work as well as yours. I hope I can be as smart as you one day.

I worked with EJM on "the float" for a year. Just like regular corporate aviation, the dispatchers try to push you into doing things you shouldn't do. But, at least the passengers are as big of prima donnas as you. I am sure you get along quite well with them.

You know, everyday I thank God I don't work in corporate aviation any more. I always seemed to end up working with guys just just like you. You are the best reason to blow my oppprotunity for "the big game".

JayDub

Let me clarify before the lynching continues. Iwas too hard and I apoligize. I started out by saying I had mixed emotions and never clarified that line. I am glad to help any pilot trying to further his career. I was just hoping we hire the best who want to stay here and not jump in several months with our training dollars wasted.
We are a great company with our share of good and bad! Some pilots love this type of flying, some always have "Big Jet" envy. I researched this company as well as the majors, and I chose EJA. I never was turned down at any airline and even had the chance to go AA and chose EJA. Most of the commuter guys I fly with are very positive about their new job! I have never flown for an airline, so I can not compare the two.
I am very happy at EJA and love the variety in the flying. I flew with many airline pilots and several used my apartment as a crash pad for NY based crews. I don't want to fly to the same cities for twenty years! I have several friends who are Captains for the Majors and they still bitch about their jobs while heading to the bank! I am very pleased with the job and my fellow pilots. However, I do look forward to the day I too can head to the bank with my head held higher.....

Let the beatings continue...I'm ready

Latest resources

Back